cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C Can't get video to record

graceohara
Apprentice

Hello! I recently purchased the Canon R5C. I am a photographer, but wanted to dive into videography. I have been playing around with the video settings and cannot get the camera to record. Could this be an issue with my SD card not being big enough?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'd be more concerned about type, over size, but of course the card does need to have a capacity that will handle the video format you are recording in.    

Let's start here:

Which card are we talking about.  The SD or the CFExpressB?

What is the brand / model  type and size?

What recording format are you trying to record in?

Review page 34 for more information.

eosr5c-aug6-video-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

We can make more suggestions depending on your answers 😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

graceohara,

When you say that your camera is not recording, do you mean it's not recording, or it's not saving?

You have two card slots, but you only talk about one card. Are you sure you are pointing to the right slot for saving your videos?

There are several web sites out there with recommendations for memory cards for your R5C like this one:

https://cameratimes.org/best-memory-cards-for-canon-eos-r5-c/

Steve Thomas

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry to hear about your problem.  I have an R5C and I use it for recording video, almost daily -- I rarely shoot stills.  Of course it works great for me.

So I'd love to help, but unfortunately your post doesn't give much to work with.  When you say "cannot get the camera to record", what does that mean?  Presumably you're pressing the big red button to start recording -- what happens next?

• Is there an error message?
  • Does a little red card icon briefly appear on the screen?  (watch carefully for this one)
  • Does it appear to record but then you can't find the file?

As others here have pointed out, there are various settings that could affect this.  You need to make sure that the card slot you have selected for recording actually has a card in it (UserGuide Video, version 1.0.6.1, page 64, "Selecting the Main Recording Destination").

And if you're recording to an SD card, you want to make sure it's fast enough.  Ignore the speed numbers printed on the card -- they are garbage.  (See https://moonblink.info/MudLake/tech#Cards )  You need to look at the V rating.  For the R5C, you will need a card with at least a v60 rating, preferably v90 (page 34, "Compatible Recording Media").  I always use a CFExpress type B card, which works well for me.

So, give us some more information, and hopefully we can help.  I've always found that this camera is superb for video, and I'd love to see others get the benefit of it too.

Hi Atticus!

Thank you for your reply! Yes, when I put the camera in video mode, I click the red button and it says "invalid operation." I am using an Extreme PRO 95MB/s 64GB San Disk. The little red card (1) in the top left side of the screen is crossed out. I cannot even record. The indicator light on the front of the camera stays green.

Actually, I believe that this is because you have the wrong card slot selected.

The "little red card (1) in the top left side of the screen" represents the CF card slot.  It's highlighted because you have the CF card slot selected for recording video, and it's red because you don't have a CF card.  This is what "Invalid operation" is telling you.  So go to the manual page 64, and set the correct recording destination.

Having said that, if you want to record video to SD then you will certainly want an SD card with at least a v60 rating.  The R5C will record to an inferior card -- I just tested that -- but with anything less than v60 you risk corruptions or drop-outs in your video.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for your reply.  The card you are using does not meet the minimum requirements for video.  Please refer to page 34 of the user guide both AtticusLake and I referenced.  

As mentioned, you'll need to purchase a card that meets the minimum requirements for video capture.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements