cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for my first Interchangeable lens camera

renosgurl85
Contributor

I am wanting to buy my first ILC but I have no idea where to start. I have several point and shoot cameras (Fuji Z, Nikon S3300 and S3000 I believe, Sony DSC H1 and Sony DSC H9) but I would like more control over my pictures. I will be essentially saving up money this year for a camera and possibly extra lenses. I would like to use some of the glass I already have for my Minolta XD-11 if I can, I have a minolta rokkor x 50mm, Soligar wide auto 28mm and a Soligar zoom+marco 80-200mm. 

My plan was to make my own dark room but that hasn't worked out as of yet and so I have tons of undeveloped film sitting around so I'm not getting better at any of this when I can't see my pictures.

I don't mind older gear, I will say I have lost a lot of my photography chops over the years, I used to know all the ins and outs but I will need to refresh myself on everything. I want to really immerse myself in whatever camera I choose and just have fun doing it. 

As far as what I want this camera for, mostly pictures of my pets, general wildlife, going to the beach, and taking on walks, I do want something that will have some good low light pictures and I don't mind having video capabilities. I have toyed with the idea of trying to sell prints and I don't know what is best for that. 

As far as a budget I would say I am willing to go up to around $1000 but for a hobby camera I would prefer less. I know this is a Canon forum but I am willing to consider any camera brand anyone can offer me and after looking at a lot of posts on here everyone seems pretty helpful. 

Cheers for any help I can get!

Here's a few pictures taken with my Sony DSC-H9 (it has a censor issue you really notice that red line in low light pictures)

Smiley boySmiley boy

C'mon son!C'mon son!

DSC04384.JPG

Chewing grassChewing grass

Silly boySilly boy

Shawn SpencerShawn Spencer

25 REPLIES 25

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It is hard for us to recommend other brands on this site, so these will be from the Canon range.  I also doubt that you will be able to get your legacy lenses to work with the modern crop of Canon cameras, but I am not familiar with the specific lenses you mention.  If you retain your film cameras, you could keep those lenses for use with those bodies.

Give a budget of $1,000 (you won't get much for under that), your options are still very limited. The fact that you want "pictures of my pets, general wildlife, going to the beach, and taking on walks" with low light capabilities is a wide range of applications and capabilities.  I will try to get as many of those as possible, but inevitably for a wide range of subjects and conditions, there will be compromises.

Given that you say you are not familiar with digital cameras, and you have to reacquaint yourself with photography, I would strongly suggest taking some time to learn about modern digital cameras and lenses.  There are now things to consider like sensor size, Optical Image Stabilization, In-Body Image Stabilization, face and eye tracking and a host of other things you have likely not encountered but will come up with as you investigate your options.  I would strongly suggest getting some recently published reference material from the library on digital photography from the library or on-line and updating your knowledge you will be able to better understand and engage with those making suggestions for gear. 
I suggest this site for reference material:
Learn Photography (photographylife.com)

There are not many new cameras with lenses available within your budget, so this would give you some time to save up some for for a better budget and more choice.

The current range is the EOS R series of camera and they take RF lenses.  They will be extremely unlikely to be able to connect to your legacy gear and, TBH, older lenses will likely not be good enough for these advanced systems.

Here, you have two types of sensors: APS-C and the larger Full Frame (equivalent to a 35mm film size negative).  Given you want low light performance, I would personally go with the FF unit as they generally gather more light across the sensor.

However, even the cheapest cameras in the R-series are going to be outside your budget of $1,000 with the necessary lens.  So, as I see it, you could save up some more and in the meantime study the basics of modern cameras, so that you are more comfortable with the technology or look to the second-hand market through a reputable outlet, such as KEH, or Canon's own Refurbished camera and lens site:
Canon Refurbished Cameras & Accessories | Canon U.S.A, Inc.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I've studied a bit about the newer cameras but I find it kind of confusing if I can't have any hands on experience. For my main pictures right now would really just be at home since I can't drive do to lack of depth perception, I love taking pictures of my dogs and cats. Since my new puppy will be going for walks soon I want something that can catch those good action moments and my phone definitely doesn't do that. I don't know if it's worth still considering a DSLR anymore since everyone is making mirrorless cameras nowadays I would like to go to a camera shop just to get a feel for some cameras in my hands since all of my cameras are either chunky like my Sony ones or very small like my Nikons. 

OK, I understand - each of us has a different learning style and hands-on experience is definitely an important consideration.
I would suggest reading the following article I wrote for your situation and consider the questions and the buying process it includes: Buying Camera Gear 
So, when you have digested that and considering your budget and expressed needs, I would suggest the following:
The Canon EOS R50, with RF-S 15-45 and 55-150 lenses
Currently, these are available from Adorama or from  Canon On-Line  (although at Canon it's on backorder) as a bundle for $979.
To help you get started with understanding it, the following video might help:

I definitely suggest going to a bricks and mortar camera store and handling any camera you are considering.
The two lenses should give you all the range you need for capturing images at home, scenery, people, and for some wildlife.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Guys,

I'm sure Trevor is referring to the R50...  🙂.  It's a budget minded entry to mirrorless.  This will definitely allow you to get your feet wet with a ILC that has some of Canons newest features.  It does nice 4K video too.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick, I was playing with one of my M5 cameras and obviously got that stuck in my brain. Yep, it's the R50 and I have corrected the original post to avoid confusion! 🙄

cheers, TREVOR

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Very good looking dog.  Dare I say, “CUTE”.  Of course, I just did. 💯

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OMG Bill you DID!  Well, why not, I say, it IS cute.   I would love a dog, always had one as a kid, but where I live it would not get the exercise it deserves and I am away from home too much, but i can vicariously enjoy my niece's super cute dog!

cheers, TREVOR

renosgurl85
Contributor

Thank you everyone! He is one of the main reasons I want a camera, my oldest dogs I lost back in 2017 and 2019 all of their baby and young pictures and videos were on old cell phones that look horrible today I can't print them out or anything. I want something that 10 years from now I can have pictures of him this age and onward that are nice looking and I get to learn and have fun while enjoying him being little

Well, the camera that I have suggested along with its lenses are the best I can suggest within your budget restraints.  Here is another video on the use of this camera, and with the lenses I recommended.

Take your time and digest this info but let me know how you feel about this.

cheers, TREVOR

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements