cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a smartphone to run EOS Remote with 6D

Leatherdale
Apprentice

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Y with Android 2.3.6 to use EOS Remote app with my Canon 6D.  The phone was not compatible, a fact confirmed by e-mail from Samsung.  What would be the least expensive phone to buy to suit my requirements? Also, since I don't actually need it as a phone, would it communicate with the camera via Wi-Fi without a SIM card?

13 REPLIES 13

@ajraymedia wrote:
You can also use an iPod touch or iPad since the app works fine there as well over wifi. There ahould be android alternatives as well. You shouldn't need a phone.

"Least Expensive" and "Apple" seem to be mutually exclusive.

not sure what you are saying here.  the origingal post was "least expensive phone".  I was simply pointing out another alternative.  since Apple is so popular, one might be able to get a good used iOS device or even a free iPhone with a two year contract.  I also mentioned that there should be android alternatives.  I personal think apple products run better and are easier to use so I am more familiar with them.  I am just trying to help.

@ajraymedia wrote:
You can also use an iPod touch or iPad since the app works fine there as well over wifi. There ahould be android alternatives as well. You shouldn't need a phone.

That's the same thought I had... the app will run on an iPad Touch, which would be less expensive than buyinga "phone" (a phone would require a contract to get the subsidy and without a contract for service, the non-subsidized price tag goes way up.)  So if the device is being purchased exclusively to remotely control a camera... I'd probably skip the phone.

As for iPad... The Canon "EOS Remote" lists in it's description that it was really designed for iPhone and iPod Touch... but not for iPad.  They indicate that you can run it on iPad... but it's optimized for the screen of the smaller devices.  So you'll either see a small display in the middle of a really big screen... or you can double the pixel size to get a larger view of a display that was meant for a small device.

CamRanger supports (and uses) the full size screens of tablets (as well as phones), but that's 3rd party and requires a seperate device dangling off the side of the camera (it wouldn't use the built-in wifi.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Leatherdale wrote:

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Y with Android 2.3.6 to use EOS Remote app with my Canon 6D.  The phone was not compatible, a fact confirmed by e-mail from Samsung.  What would be the least expensive phone to buy to suit my requirements? Also, since I don't actually need it as a phone, would it communicate with the camera via Wi-Fi without a SIM card?

Straight Talk LG Destiny - $20 at Walmart runs Android 5.0 Lollipop

Announcements