cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a smartphone to run EOS Remote with 6D

Leatherdale
Apprentice

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Y with Android 2.3.6 to use EOS Remote app with my Canon 6D.  The phone was not compatible, a fact confirmed by e-mail from Samsung.  What would be the least expensive phone to buy to suit my requirements? Also, since I don't actually need it as a phone, would it communicate with the camera via Wi-Fi without a SIM card?

13 REPLIES 13

Skirball
Authority

According to the Canon specs your phone should run it.  Have you tried sideloading it?

I can only vouch for my Incredible 4g, but I'm sure there are cheaper phones out there.  But if you don't want it as a phone, why not get a cheap Android tablet?  Acer and Asus both have cheap offereings.  I use a Kindle FIre HD, which is cheap, but you have to root it to get to the Google market and get the app.  But you may be able to side load that too.

Dear Skirball,

how exactly does one go about "Root"ing ones Kindle Fire to get Google apps as the EOS remote?

or "sideloading"...

Does this work well for you?

Thank you

@nbphoto wrote:

Dear Skirball,

how exactly does one go about "Root"ing ones Kindle Fire to get Google apps as the EOS remote?

or "sideloading"...

Does this work well for you?

Thank you

Go here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Type in whichever Kindle Fire model you have into the "Find Device" search, and go to the appropriate forum.  There should be a sticky at the top of the forum that will run you through the basics.  It's not hard, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not at least comfortable with computers.  I did a basic root (unlocked bootloader) on my Kindle Fire HD, and it works great with my 6D; or, as good as the limited software allows. 

There's now a full OS (Cyanogenmod) for it.  But if you've never rooted then perhaps it's best to leave this one be.  You don't need it to load EOS Remote, but you do need it to connect via tether (instead of WiFi).

i did it- working great with 6D.
http://www.lovemyfire.com/side-loading-apps-on-kindle-fire.html
thanks for the idea general direction.
kindle fire HDX has nice resolution for the price.
Cheers,
Nate

@nbphoto wrote:
i did it- working great with 6D.
http://www.lovemyfire.com/side-loading-apps-on-kindle-fire.html
thanks for the idea general direction.
kindle fire HDX has nice resolution for the price.
Cheers,
Nate

Glad it works.  Sounds like the architecture on the HDX is a bit different.  I'm pretty sure I was unable to get EOS Remote to work after sideloading until I rooted it.  But I don't recall for sure.

I hate that Amazon put those restrictions on it, but agreed: The Kindles have some great features for the price.

I have a Canon 6D and a Kindle Fire - I would love to be able to shoot and tether to the kindle (eyes are not what they once were) - could you email me what you mean about "root it"?  Thanks!

And I just (sorry brandnew to the forum) realized that if I dug deeper I would find additional information ~Sorry!! Will try what I've found in other comments. ~ Nan

hsbn
Whiz

You don't need a sim to run wifi. Any phone that use iOS or Android should be fine. There is no app for windows phone yet. Be careful that smart phone is not as reliable or last as long so if you buy used one, the battery may be dead. I am still wondering why your phone is not compatible. The app is compatible with android ver. 2.3.3 or later. Can you install the app at all?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ajraymedia
Enthusiast
You can also use an iPod touch or iPad since the app works fine there as well over wifi. There ahould be android alternatives as well. You shouldn't need a phone.
Announcements