cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XTI. Does it support ETTL?

travistee
Contributor

I have a rebel XTI.   It's about 10 years old.  

I'm trying to use it with a yongnuo. Yn565exII flash.

It's supposed to work with ETTL cameras.  

Should it work with my camera?

8 REPLIES 8

@travistee wrote:

I have a rebel XTI.   It's about 10 years old.  

I'm trying to use it with a yongnuo. Yn565exII flash.

It's supposed to work with ETTL cameras.  

Should it work with my camera?

Yes. (But note that with any 3rd-party device, the operative word is "should", not "will".) The XTi is an ETTL-compatible camera and works with Canon's ETTL speedlites.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

travistee
Contributor
It used to work with my 380ex or 430ex.
I forgot which. The flash recognizes the camera. It can read zoom and f stop. But no flash. I'll see what hong Kong says

@travistee wrote:
It used to work with my 380ex or 430ex.
I forgot which. The flash recognizes the camera. It can read zoom and f stop. But no flash. I'll see what hong Kong says

I'd be curious to know what you find out from HK. I have a similar issue with a YN565exII. I bought it to use mainly on my 60D and it seems to work as it should. But I also expected that it might work on an older Canon 300D I'd picked up and a Canon G5 that I purchased new years ago which had never had a flash plugged into its hotshoe.

As I recall the YN flash seemed to have some communication with the 300D and the G5 like you mentioned, but the flash wouldn't fire. I think EXIF data from both cameras even showed external ettl flash metering.

Some months later I decided to look for a more compact ettl flash that might work on both the 300D and the G5. Many of the compatibility listings I found were kind of murky with many sources stating that their flash would work with any Canon ettl camera. I ended up with two flashes when it was all over. One is a Nissin Di28 and the other was a Promaster FL100 which I couldn't pass up for $10 new in the box. In the end I have at least one working flash for each camera, but no one flash that will work on all three.

So I guess that if there's any lesson to be learned it's that there doesn't seem to be any one ettl standard that applies across the board to all ettl capable Canon cameras. And the third party flash suppliers are not surprisingly worried about building in too much backward compatibility.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm trying to use it with a yongnuo. Yn565exII flash."

I don't have one nor never even tried one but some folks I know use them all the time with good results.  I see no reason why it should not work properly on an XTi.  I can't state that for certain because I know no one that has an XTi either.  You have to go back pretty far to find a Canon that is not ETTL compatibile.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I'm trying to use it with a yongnuo. Yn565exII flash."

I don't have one nor never even tried one but some folks I know use them all the time with good results.  I see no reason why it should not work properly on an XTi.  I can't state that for certain because I know no one that has an XTi either.  You have to go back pretty far to find a Canon that is not ETTL compatibile.

As a matter of fact, Ernie, you do know someone who still has an XTi. (But not, however, a Yongnuo flash.)

But I think the subject of the thread has shifted from an XTi (400D) to a 300D. By the time you go back that far, all bets may be off.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"As a matter of fact, Ernie, you do know someone who still has an XTi."

As a matter of fact, you are right!  I did not mean to overlook the Man from Boston.  Smiley Happy

I actually had five of them myself. Alas no longer.  They all went to a better place I am sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

travistee
Contributor
I returned this one. I called canon. The ettl cameras are supposed to work the same. I got another brand that works . I forgot the name . ha ha. It seems to work so far

travistee
Contributor
The one I have now is a photoolex 800c.
The flash compensation works too.
The 400 is the same as an xti. It's the European name.
Yongnuo said they didn't have an xti to test it.
Announcements