cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T8i can't connect to PC

sheryl3
Apprentice

EOS T8i won't connect to PC anymore.  It has been fine for months.  Nothing - that I know of has changed.  Now the PC won't recognize it.  I disabled both wireless and bluetooth.  I reinstalled the EOS utilities.  I use Windows 11.  Any ideas?  I connect with a USB cord that came with the camera.  My PC has no slot for a simcard, so I can't download pics that way.  I need access to my pics!! 

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

USB cords can fail, try another one.

tried another cord....still not working

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try a different USB port and USB data cable. Do not use any cable adapters. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks - I've done that.  No luck.  

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It might be worth checking in the history of operating system updates if your PC has had one recently.  Such software changes can have implications to your connectivity without you even being aware of it.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

normadel
Authority
Authority

Your camera uses an "SD Memory Card", not a "simcard". Simcards are what is in cellphones.

If all you want to do is transfer files from SD card to computer, simply use an SD-to-USB adapter. They are cheap.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Sheryl:

The simplest thing to do would be to go out, get a USB connected SD card reader (they are dirt cheap), plug that into your PC via a USB slot and use it to download the images.  This takes no more steps, is faster and does not use the camera's battery to do the downloading - so it has multiple advantages over other methods.

In detail:

Turn off your camera
Remove the SD card and put it into the card reader attached to your PC - the File Manager should recognize the SD card as a new drive.  From there, simply copy the files from that drive to your data location on the computer's hard disc.  Just make sure all the files have copied correctly.

To remove the SD card after copying, if you are using a Windows PC, use the Eject function in File Manager to make sure that the card is not being accessed by the operating system - if it is it will cause loss of file structure and could permanently corrupt the card.  If you use the Eject function (right click on the USB drive and it should appear on the pop-up menu), then you should get a notification that is is OK to remove the card and that drive will disappear off the list of data locations.

Put the card back into your camera, power up and use the camera to format the card clean.  Don't use the delete function - that does not clean the card properly and will lead to accumulating errors over time.  Once that is done, you are good to go and shoot some more.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements