cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 (2000D) Blank LCD / Not Shooting

markhart
Contributor

Hello all,

I have a Rebel T7 (2000D) which is a 1.5 years old. After switching on today, it is no longer taking photos. The unit does switch on, but the LCD screen is blank. Looking through the view finder when pressing the shutter button, I can see the shot information and also hear the lens focusing, but pressing to take the shot does nothing. I've verified that the battery is also fully charged.

I've had a look though the other similar posts, of which, none are applicable to this model.

Is anybody able to provide any other suggestions or tips as to what the issue may be or how it can be resolved?

Cheers,
Mark.

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you tried pressing the info button?

You might also try an external hDMI monitor.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I did try the HDMI cable, but with no success. The HDMI function isn't available when the camera's Wi-Fi feature is enabled (which it is) and with the LCD screen blank, I can't get in to switch it off!

As for the Info button, unless I'm completely missing it, the T7 doesn't have one (pictures attached).

IMG_20200411_172701172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200411_172717427.jpg

On that camera body it is called [DISP] because it works a just little bit differently from [INFO] on more advanced bodies.

Try removing the lens, and seeing if the shutter fires.  Inspect the contacts on the body and lens.  Do not try to clean them.  The normal act of attaching and detaching the lens provides sufficient friction to keep them clean.  You are looking for damage and discoloration.  Pressing gently on the camera contacts tests if they spring back into place.  Avoid pressing on the contacts with your bare fingers, because you WILL leave body oils behind.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@markhart wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I did try the HDMI cable, but with no success. The HDMI function isn't available when the camera's Wi-Fi feature is enabled (which it is) and with the LCD screen blank, I can't get in to switch it off!

As for the Info button, unless I'm completely missing it, the T7 doesn't have one (pictures attached).

Turn off the Wi-Fi and NFC when they are not in use.  They will reduce your battery life.  In fact, turn it off to test the shutter functionality.  We want to remove as many variables as possible.  Troubleshooting involves removing possible sources of error, not guessing what the problem could be and then testing for your guess.

Thanks, I'll give that a go and post up the results.

One thing though - how can I switch off the Wi-Fi/NFC if the screen is blank? I'm not able to get into the menus to disable it. Is there another way?

@markhart wrote:

Thanks, I'll give that a go and post up the results.

One thing though - how can I switch off the Wi-Fi/NFC if the screen is blank? I'm not able to get into the menus to disable it. Is there another way?

Remove the lens.

Hi, so, I removed the lens and attached the camera to the TV with the HDMI output. With the camera switched on, nothing displays on the TV. Pressing the 'Disp' button also has no effect with both the lens attached or detached.

Additionally, with the lens removed, pressing the shot button does not cause the shutter to activate.

One thing I have noticed as well, is that sometimes, when the camera is switched on and the shot button pressed, it can be intermittent as to whether the shot information is displayed in the view finder.

That sounds bad.  Make sure your battery is fully charged, BTW.  Your camera really sounds like it needs service.

Elizalam
Apprentice
I’m am having the same problems with my rebel T7. Did you find an answer to fix it?
Announcements