cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6i video recording length

huskerfangary
Apprentice

I've read you can only record 29:59 at one button push.  Is there a workaround where it can record until out of memory or battery?  Already tried latest firmware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Canon, like almost all makers at the time, conformed to a limit imposed by the EU that dictated that a digital stills camera could not record video more than that 29:59 limit.  If a camera did so, it was classed as a video camera and incurred some serious penalties in taxes and duties.  Since then that restriction has been relaxed, but while some newer cameras have no longer got that limit, no firmware updates are available to do the same retroactively.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Canon, like almost all makers at the time, conformed to a limit imposed by the EU that dictated that a digital stills camera could not record video more than that 29:59 limit.  If a camera did so, it was classed as a video camera and incurred some serious penalties in taxes and duties.  Since then that restriction has been relaxed, but while some newer cameras have no longer got that limit, no firmware updates are available to do the same retroactively.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ah, shucks.  Thanks for the explanation!  Very helpful!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You are most welcome!

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There is a possibilty, of which I have no personal experience.  There is a software package called Magic Lantern that will alter the firmware of Canon cameras to add extra features.  This MAY allow you to bypass the limit. but you should clearly note that this violates any responsibility that Canon has for supporting your camera and is NOT recommended.  Give that T6i is an older model and likely out of warranty, and possibly even service life, then the choice is yours.  I would vigorously and thoroughly research that and any feedback on its effects before you consider such a thing.

cheers, TREVOR

Yes, it's an older camera and I'm very tech savvy.  I will research this.  Thanks again.

huskerfangary
Apprentice

Appears they're only up to the T5i atm.  It's a free program and volunteers so I imagine it takes a while to add cameras.

Edit:  But you are correct, for older cameras you can record for more than 30 minutes!

Announcements