cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3i won't photograph! Help me!

Vayda
Apprentice

Hi,

I went to use my faithful T3i for some wholesome baby photos... and found it wouldn't work!

No matter what setting, when I press the shutter button, the camera clicks once (closes shutter), then nothing. Silence. I have to turn it off, then back on, just to access anything, and no images are loaded onto my SD card.

What do I do!?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Vayda

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is it perhaps in LiveView or movie mode

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Nope. I'm not super experienced, I usually use it on P. 🙂

I did, however, take out the battery, SD card, etc. I let it sit, took off the lens... that's about all the troubleshooting I know.

Did you charge up the battery?

Does live view work? Press the little camera button on the back in P mode.

"Is it perhaps in LiveView or movie mode"...... "I usually use it on P."

The P makes no difference.  So check that you actually don't it in have it in Live View.

Removing the battery won't reset a T3i overnight.  You will need to leave it out for an extended period of time. Weeks! The camera's clock and memory are powered by the same battery that powers the camera. A capacitor is used to keep date/time and settings if the main battery is removed from the camera.

Under the third yellow wrench (I think it's the 3rd one) is a clear all settings. Do that. Try a different lens. Try the T3i again.   If that doesn't work call Canon Support and ask about service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was wondering why it kept the date/time when batteries are removed.(capacitor) This happened to me also, it was the SD card, it went bad or something. Also I found the micro sd card w/ adapter can flub up the works. I would try a new SD card too!..Liz

"I found the micro sd card w/ adapter can flub up the works."

Never, NEVER, use micro SD adapters!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

1. Normally a camera would lose its mind occasionally during lens change or such so removing and replacing the lens to reseat the electrical is worth a try, then remove the battery and reinstall a fully charged battery and turn the camera back on.  Hopefully everything will start working again.  If not, try removing the lens and reinstall a couple of times..

2. If that doesn't work, I'd remove the battery and leave it out overnight.   The T3i utilizes internal capacitor to store charge to keep alive the date/time info so it will take some time to discharge.  Until the charge is depleted, the camera may not reset itself.    I'd try to exercise the buttons, remove and replace the SD card as well as the lens in hopes of helping discharge the capacitor that is holding the electrical charge.

3. Reinstall a fully charged battery then repeat step 1.  If this still doesn't work, time to send it in for service...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

lly3988
Rising Star

ml.jpg

Disable mirror lock up.

Good suggestion. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements