cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel SL1 - How to upload square image 30x30 (300dpi)

artistpam
Contributor

HI All,

Pam here, new to all of this. The site Apealz that sells digital skins wants my work. I want to sell to the but I can't seem to get the resolution high for them to upload? They want  a sq image with 300 dpi? What the hell? I have a Cannon Rebel SL1. I've shot and printed 30 x 40 image but I can't satisfy this company?? Any suggestions? And they want Jpeg not RAW . Thanks in advance, Pam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I use Lightroom Classic 12.5 - the following instructions may be differrent if you're on a different version:

1. For the photos you want to export, in the Develop module, select a square crop.
  2. Select all the photos, then select File | Export ... 
  3. Locate the Image Sizing options in the Export dialog.

[X] Resize to Fit: [Long Edge]  <-- this won't really matter since your photos were cropped to squares

[  ] Don't Enlarge <-- keep unchecked

[5,000] [pixels]     Resolution: [300] [pixels per inch]

4. Locate the File Settings options in the Export dialog:

Image Format: [JPEG]   Quality [80]  <-- this quality should suffice, but you can increase if desired.

Color Space: [sRGB]     [  ] Limit File Size <-- Leave this unchecked.

This will export 5,000 pixel square versions of the selected photos tagged with being 300 DPI. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to know the dimensions of the image that they want. The resolution in pixels divided by the image size in inches gives you the DPI (dots per inch). Are you shooting with camera settings set at large JPEG? That should be enough unless they want very large print size. 

Large Jpeg-let me check this. Thank you so much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your camera at L JPEG setting will provide an image of 5184 x 3456 pixels. If you crop the image to 10 inches by 10 inches, and save it using your photo editing software, that will give you a square photo file with 345 DPI.

The smaller that you make the crop in your editing software, the larger the DPI will be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just re-read your title in this post, do they want a 30" x 30" size photo at 300 DPI? If so, your camera would have to have a resolution of at least 9000 x 9000 pixels. That doesn't sound right to me.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just re-read your title in this post, do they want a 30" x 30" size photo at 300 DPI? If so, your camera would have to have a resolution of at least 9000 x 9000 pixels. That doesn't sound right to me.

You can change the resolution of an image with almost any image editor.

Paint-Dot_Net_-_Image-Size.PNG

You also be able to alter the “canvas size” to create a border around the image for framing after it has been printed.  For example, an 11x17 image fits perfectly onto a 13x19 sheet with a 1-inch border all the way around it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try downloading the FREE image editor Paint Dot Net.  The web site is named GetPaintDotNet.

Thank you. I will check this out.

I work on MAC-UGH!!

@artistpam wrote:

I work on MAC-UGH!!

Almost any image editor should be able to resize images.  There are numerous image editors are available in the Apple Store.  I see one named Image Size.  I am not making a recommendation.  It seems free and the name says a lot.

Announcements