cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Date of Manuracture on EOS60D

mmitsch
Contributor

Is there a way to find the date that my EOS 60D was made from it's serial number?

15 REPLIES 15

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is no way for a consumer to date the camera from the serial number. Canon might be able to tell you if you were to send it in. 

The EOS 60D was made from 2010 to 2013. Why would you need to have a more accurate date of manufacture? 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you for your reply! 

I wanted to get a manual for my son and there are a couple of versions so I was curious which I should get / when the camera was produced.  I bought it used a few years ago.

Appreciate you getting back to me.

would you know a good SD card for the camera?  Thought I’d get a 128gb but don’t know which is best.

Have a great weekend!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, the 128GB card will work, but I don’t know if any larger cards would work.  I always recommend SanDisk memory cards, as do many other people. 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can download the “60D Instruction Manual” from the link below.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-60d 

I do not recommend using high capacity memory cards.  I recommend 32GB, or less.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you!

I will stick to the 32gb cards as you suggested.  What’s the issue with the larger ones?

And thank you for the link as well.  

@mmitsch wrote:

Thank you!

I will stick to the 32gb cards as you suggested.  What’s the issue with the larger ones?

And thank you for the link as well.  

There is nothing “wrong” with the high capacity cards.  They were just not around when your camera was initially released.  You should stick to the types of SD cards that were most commonly available when the camera was designed.

As someone else noted, the camera is not a good place to store photos.  Smart phones have their data backed up to a cloud service.  Your camera does not.  Everything is stored on the card inside the camera.  You should download photos to a computer at the first opportunity.  

Memory cards have been known to fail.  It is better to have (4) 32GB cards than (1) 128GB card.  Stick to major brands like Lexar or SanDisk.  Only buy them from an authorized Canon dealer.  Avoid online marketplaces like Amazon or eBay for any camera accessories, including spare batteries.  There are a lot counterfeit and under performing products out there.

I want to mention that you should only use full size SD cards.  Avoid the micro-SD cards that come with the plastic adapters like the plague.  The plastic adapters have an unacceptably high failure rate.  You will not find them listed in the “60D Instruction Manual” as a recommended type to use.

Finally, always use the camera to perform a “low level” format of new SD cards prior to first use.  New cards might seem to be pre-formatted, but they are not.  What looks like a formatted card is actually residue from production testing.  It needs to be wiped.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I do not recommend using high capacity memory cards.  I recommend 32GB, or less."

I second that advice. When you get your manual always use the SD card recommend by Canon. Any top brand is OK as long as you buy from a known good retailer. Amazon and eBay are not known good retailers. There s a chance of getting a counterfeit SD form them unless you know the seller is legit. Amazon itself is good, very good in fact, but you must be careful it is from Amazon and not a market place merchant. Sometimes it is difficult to tell and again if you don't know the source better stay away.

One problem is, when people get a high end DSLR like the 6D they try to treat it like their iphone. A 6D is not a good place to store your photos like folks do on their iphone making for the most part high capacity SD not necessary. The best advice is to have several SD and switch them out after each shoot. Then u/l to your computer, format the SD, and back in rotation to use it again on the next outing. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The OP has the EOS 60D. But your core point of not using large SD Card. Your point on not storing pictures on your camera is good. Yes definitely stay far away from Amazon.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements