cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel Feature Requests?

staffie2001uk
Apprentice

Hi Everyone, 

I've been waiting in vain for Canon to add GPS to the Rebel range so that I can upgrade my T2i (550D).  

I currently use an Android GPS logger on my smartphone and sync to the photos using GPicSync.  

It works, assuming that I remember to start the logger, but you don't get direction information.  

Is it just me, or is everyone else waiting for GPS too?  

Given that the EOS 6D and my wife's PowerShot SX260 HS have GPS built in it can't be cost or space preventing it on the Rebels.  

Does anyone know of a forum/site/e-mail that you can log your desire with Canon?  

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does anyone know of a forum/site/e-mail that you can log your desire with Canon?"

I suppose this one is as good as any.  But I doubt the Canon people that count will ever see it.

Personally, for myself and the people I konw in the business don't really want or use GPS.  I am sure there are some out there that do but not for the work I ever did.

Good luck with your request. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Does anyone know of a forum/site/e-mail that you can log your desire with Canon?"

I suppose this one is as good as any.  But I doubt the Canon people that count will ever see it.

Personally, for myself and the people I konw in the business don't really want or use GPS.  I am sure there are some out there that do but not for the work I ever did.

Good luck with your request. Smiley Happy

I'm with Ernie. I couldn't care less about GPS. I haven't even bothered to learn how to use the GPS in my car.

There's only one GPS-equipped camera in my house: my wife's new 7D2. I don't think either of us has bothered to read what the manual says about it. If that makes me a Luddite, I guess I have to plead guilty.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

In over 40 years and now 13 years of retirement, I never had a bride say, "Darn it.  I wanted GPS on all my photos!"  Not one time.  I suppose there are some other professional uses, like a Nat Geo photographer perhaps but it's not for me.

EB

Peter
Authority
Authority

You will not get directions with a 6D either. For that you will need GP-E2. It works with 750D and 760D but not your 550D.

Never thought I would use the GPS in my 6D, but I have been shooting some rune stones and some bunkers from WW2 and it is really good to be able to find the places again. I have also pointed out some of the bunkers on Google Maps. Something that would have been impossible without a GPS in the camera.

You can buy a GPS logger and geo-code the images in the PC, that is what I do.

Since the Rebels are entry level, they might never get GPS, just like they don't have micro-focus adjustment.

ScottyP
Authority

Eventually wifi will make it to the Rebels. I think Canon mistakes it for a high end feature just because it is one they have recently rolled out.  In real world use it is more of a low end camera phone social media kind of thing. 

The one that blows me away is the lack of afma on Rebels because AFMA is a way to correct small manufacturing tolerance slack problems. You'd think they'd want that. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"Eventually wifi will make it to the Rebels."

Rebel T6i ...........802.11b/g/n with NFC

t6i_feature_02a.jpg

Most Rebel owners shoot with the kit lens.  Such as the EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM.  It is unlikely the minor copy variations between camera and lenses will ever show up.  Rebel owners typically don't buy the fast primes where MFA would be nice.  Aside from the ef 50mm f1.8, which is not a 'true' Rebel lens, as the only real candidate that might find its way on a Rebel.

EB
Announcements