cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100mm macro will override autofocus on R6 but not R5

Ms2thdr
Contributor

So I have both the R5 and the R6.  My R5 is a little over a year old just for a reference.  On a recent trip I needed to manually override the autofocus on the RF100mm macro and could not do it on the R5.  Switching the lens to the R6 let me do it.  I know that the canon knowledge base says that the lens is not compatible with electronic full-time manual focus, however it says it shouldn't work for the R6 either.  While on the trip there were a few others who had an R5 and it worked for them.  

BTW I checked it with a few other lenses - the 14-35 f/4, the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 24-240 f/4.5-7.1 they all work fine on the R6 but not at all on the R5.

Any ideas as to why it will work for some but not others and why it works for my R6 but not the R5?

Thanks in advance

17 REPLIES 17

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

For what this is worth, I have an R5 and an RF 100mm macro, and my manual focus override works fine. I'm using back button focus and FV mode exclusively, in both One Shot and Servo modes, and have it set so that when I turn the manual focus wheel, the EVF magnifies. That works fine also. I have also used this lens on my R without a problem. 

That is good to know.  It just shows that there are those cameras out there that it does work and those that it doesn't.  The question remains as to why.  Can I ask you how old your R5 is?  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the date the camera was manufactured.

@Ms2thdr wrote:

"Can I ask you how old your R5 is?  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the date the camera was manufactured."

I bought the R6 in May, 2021 and the R5 in November, 2021. Both are f/w 1.6.0.

BTW, I have submitted this to Canon Support.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you for the information and for submitting it to Canon Support.  I will do so as well.

I got my R5 in April 2021, not sure how to know manufacture date.

I discovered a setting that you might want to confirm that you have enabled (actually both of these settings--my apologies if they have already been mentioned): (1) Under AF, the #5 tab, Electronic full-time MF should be On (I just discovered that it was disabled on my R) and (2) also under AF, the #4 tab Lens Electronic MF should be On (I have mine set to On + Magnify). 

Thank you!  I have both of those enabled, which is why I have been so stumped. 

I was asking about when people got theirs to see if there was something significant about it.  But you got yours before I got mine and yours works so there goes that thought! 

I hope you won't have to send your camera in but if you do, I'll say that both of my experiences with Canon repair were very positive. My only regret was that I didn't know to ask about expedited return shipping.

@Wandalynn wrote:

"and have it set so that when I turn the manual focus wheel, the EVF magnifies. That works fine also." 

My wife loves that and probably uses it 90% of the time. Drives me crazy when I snatch up her R6 to get a quick shot, LOL! I use manual focus override quite a bit, but I don't use magnify because I have a longer lens.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements