cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 with Focus and Noise Issues

Austinbat
Apprentice

Hi All,

I would really like some help troubleshooting some focusing issues I am having with my brand new R7.  I have  an EF-EOS R mount that I use with Canon 24-105f4, Canon 70-200f2.8 and Sigma 100-400f5.  I mostly enjoy landscape and wildlife photography.  I have been shooting with a 7dmii for years, and changing to mirrorless has been a hard transition for me.  I have taken hundreds of pictures, and they all come out of focus and with a ton of noise, sometimes even at 200 ISO.  I have read tons of articles and watched a million youtube videos.  

If someone could guide me on the best systematic way to troubleshoot this, I would be grateful.  I am certain that it is something I am doing.  

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Using ISO 200 should be fairly clean.  Please post a sample photo that includes EXIF data.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

IMG_2382.jpg

I do not see anything wrong with your camera.  What I do see is too slow of a shutter speed, for the focal length in use, being used at near macro distances to the subject.

These shots require a VERY steady hand or a tripod.  A faster shutter is highly recommended.

20221211-2J1A1119.jpgI hope that this helps us!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What you have here is an image with subject that exists in the foreground, middle and background of the photo.  It looks like the camera or you, is focusing at the center of the photo Asparagus Fern.  You are shooting at f4.  Wide open for this lens.  This means objects in your foreground and background will not be in absolute sharp focus.  This is depth of field.  Try shooting at f6.3 or better f8 which should bring the areas in front and in back of your main subject into sharper focus.  Note your ISO will increase as well if lighting is low.   

The noise aspect will be hard to diagnose over the internet.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

at f8 still out of focusat f8 still out of focus

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Austinbat wrote:

Hi All,

I would really like some help troubleshooting some focusing issues I am having with my brand new R7.  I have  an EF-EOS R mount that I use with Canon 24-105f4, Canon 70-200f2.8 and Sigma 100-400f5.  I mostly enjoy landscape and wildlife photography.  I have been shooting with a 7dmii for years, and changing to mirrorless has been a hard transition for me.  I have taken hundreds of pictures, and they all come out of focus and with a ton of noise, sometimes even at 200 ISO.  I have read tons of articles and watched a million youtube videos.  

If someone could guide me on the best systematic way to troubleshoot this, I would be grateful.  I am certain that it is something I am doing.  

Sometimes, with something new, we get very attentive and critical to things. If you didn’t sell/trade the 7D Mark II I suggest you use both cameras under the same conditions and compare results.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ash2
Apprentice

Hi

I’m having the same problem with noise! How did you manage to solve that issue? 

@ash2 wrote:

Hi

I’m having the same problem with noise! How did you manage to solve that issue? 

This thread is old.  Please start a new thread for your issue, which places YOUR question at the top where everyone can clearly see it.

Please include a sample image that illustrates your issue.  Please include EXIF data, too.

Announcements