cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 locking up when pressing play to review photos

phazelag
Contributor

My R7 locked up about 10 times this weekend while taking bird photos outdoors.   8 times powering off and on solved it.   2 times required removing the battery.   My cards are 128gb San Disk 170mbs.  

I am seeing many reports online about this and people have a lot of theories but no answers.   My battery was Canon and it power level didn’t matter.   

It’s worth noting that the last several weekends I was shooting in doors with an adapted Sigma 50-100f1.8 and had zero issues with the same cards.  

This time I was using the RF100-400 outdoors and it happened a full 10 times over 2 days.   Weather was around 70-80 degrees and I never maxed out the buffer.   Only short bursts at a time.  But I was shooting off and on all day.  

Some people report error codes.  I had no codes only a black screen.  

Hoping someone at Canon will monitor the various forums and notice it’s a wide spread and consistent issue.  

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hi OP, have you tried a different memory card to rule out a bad memory card. Are you using full sized SD memory cards not micro SD cards in an adapter.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I purchased new SD cards today to try.  I always format at the start of each shoot.  So I will let you know.  

Yes full size SD cards.  San Disk Extreme Pro 170mbs.   One is 128gb and one 256gb.  Been using the brand for a decade in my Canons.  Never had one failure.    But I agree with you it’s worth ruling out.  

It’s worth noting there are several other posts on DPreview and RF Shooters groups describing similar issues.    Some people think it’s because they used electronic shutter, some think it’s low batttery or third party battery even though they had charged Canon brand batteries, and some seem to think it only happens with adapted lenses.   

The flow of posts describing “black outs” or “Lock ups” is consistent enough where something software related is going on.  

If I were a betting man I would expect a firmware update to address it.   

2 of my friends that are photographers who each own an R5 and R6. I also tested the R5 & R6 with the same results. The cameras would lock up with adapted EF glass. It would also through error code 70 with adapted EF lenses. They both sent it to Canon to repair but they couldn't find anything wrong. When they both spoke with a supervisor. They found out Canon was testing the cameras with native RF glass. When they were using mainly adapted EF glass with Canon's official control ring adapter. Canon told them if the cameras locked up again (which they did). To mail the cameras, lenses, speelite(s) and mount adapter (the whole system) back to them for repair. The gear worked fine on an EF mount DSLR (except the mount adapter not necessary on a DSLR). But not with adapted lenses.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

That’s very interesting about not working with adapted glass.  Good information.   Must be where those posts are coming from.  Ironically 90% of my shots are with a control ring adapter and the Sigma 50-100f1.8.    My daughter does competitive figure skating in pretty dark roller rinks.   So far not one issue adapted.    

The lock ups happened using the RF100-400 and occasionally when using the RF 2x tele with the RF100-400.     

There could be several things happening with similar results sending us all down a rabbit hole.  

All my Canon gear has been rock solid so I am sure this will get sorted out.   

Thank you for the reply.  🙂

I don't know if this also affects the R7, R10, R3 and RA (Astro version of the EOS R). I haven't tested these cameras out yet. The issue maybe resolved now. My friends haven't had a lock up or freeze up event in awhile. After sending their cameras in for repair the last time. Photo is just my hobby not my full time job. 

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Thank you.   I am going to see if these new Lexar 300 mbs cards help and if not I will the camera to Canon in Irvine.   I drive there for work sometimes.  

Edit: Misread the post (thought that write speeds may be an issue, but playback would be using read speeds.  And the cards being specified should indeed not have any issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you, 

I see why you would say that, but I do not think that is the case.  I was testing settings. Sitting on my couch yesterday and shot one single frame in cRAW and it locked up after pressing play.    

The Screen went black.   I decided to see if it would come back to life.    I was unable to do anything, press any buttons and both the EVF and Screen were black.     But then about 40-60 seconds later it came back to life and worked fine for a few more shots.   

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@phazelag wrote:

My R7 locked up about 10 times this weekend …….  

Hoping someone at Canon will monitor the various forums and notice it’s a wide spread and consistent issue.  

I strongly suggest that you contact Canon directly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements