cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 locking up when pressing play to review photos

phazelag
Contributor

My R7 locked up about 10 times this weekend while taking bird photos outdoors.   8 times powering off and on solved it.   2 times required removing the battery.   My cards are 128gb San Disk 170mbs.  

I am seeing many reports online about this and people have a lot of theories but no answers.   My battery was Canon and it power level didn’t matter.   

It’s worth noting that the last several weekends I was shooting in doors with an adapted Sigma 50-100f1.8 and had zero issues with the same cards.  

This time I was using the RF100-400 outdoors and it happened a full 10 times over 2 days.   Weather was around 70-80 degrees and I never maxed out the buffer.   Only short bursts at a time.  But I was shooting off and on all day.  

Some people report error codes.  I had no codes only a black screen.  

Hoping someone at Canon will monitor the various forums and notice it’s a wide spread and consistent issue.  

12 REPLIES 12

I have.    But I am a unit of 1.   Hoping they see it’s a larger issue.    

Riversofbelief
Apprentice

April 2024 my wife and I both upgraded from T6i's to R7's.  Love the new features!

Trip to Golden, Colorado and the surrounding areas gave us the opportunity to break in our new R7s on wildlife, landscapes, night photography... a little of everything.

I started having all the problems the original author stated.  Hoped it was just me and I would exchange when I got home.  Next day my wife started getting them too.  Canon L series with adapter, Tamrons, all sizes.  Lockups, errors, warning to shut off and restart.  All while we were depending on the R7s for perhaps a once in a lifetime trip.

We made it through with restarts and battery removals, but this was jacked.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Since both of you are experiencing this issue, it sounds like something else might be the cause 

What firmware version are you running on the cameras?

What accessories are you both using with the cameras?

What is the brand and model of your memory cards.  Are they full size or microSD with adapters.  Were they formatted in camera prior to use?

What about lenses, Are your adapters Canon brand or third party?  How old are the third party Tamron lenses you are using.  What models are they and their ages? Please be specific.  My suspicion lies here.  What errors are you receiving?  Error 70 messages?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements