cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7/R10 button customization bug?

NewJerseyGuy
Apprentice

While I love the button customization flexibility of the R10 and guessing it's very similar to the R7, I think I've stumbled upon an undocumented shortcoming, which if resolved by Canon, could actually be a big help to a lot of us. It's about the focus point selector button that's also the zoom button when in the picture review mode. I set mine to Control Dial Function as I often want to switch from Focusing to Control as all my other buttons that permit customized have already been taken. And it works great until... I'm in picture review mode and want to zoom in. Nope, it doesn't work anymore. It would be so easy for the camera's software to see that I'm now in the picture review mode where the focus/control ring/dial is useless and revert the magnifier button to it's intended behavior in that mode. No? Let me know what you guys think. For anyone interested, I have AF button set to AF start; * set to Eye AF; Shutter set to meter only; Video(red button) to exposure lock; and AF/MF button set to toggle Servo/Single. I've had to hijack my ISO on the 4-way for exposure compensation which is a shame as is the fact that the lock button does nothing for my needs though I'm sure some folks get some mileage from it. Perhaps assigning short-press and long-press options for custom functions and lock respectively is something that Canon could consider implementing to empower that little guy 🙂 For those of you embarking on your customization adventure, make sure you have page 832 of the manual bookmarked and open. All said, what an amazing machine in that tiny package!

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why do you feel this behavior is a bug?  Rebel DSLRs have a similar behavior.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm new to the Canon world so I have no frame of reference and a quick search on the forum for button customization did not yield the ton of results that I was expecting to see and read through. It just seems so much like an oversight than a limitation. The fact that it's not documented in the manual just reinforces that assumption. Has this been discussed here before? Please point me to it if it has, I'd love to read through such a discussion. 

The R10 and R7 have only been shipping for a short time.  So, you may not find much discussion about them, much less something as specific as your issue.

Here is the way I see it.  You have changed the default functionality of the button to something completely different.  I’m not sure what the button is now set to, but it really does not matter.

What matters is that you have changed and removed the default functionality.  Now you are complaining that the default functionality is gone.  It seems that only the default setting includes the dual functionality when the camera is in Playback Mode.

I’m not sure if that is a bug, or not.  You removed the default behavior.  It is what it is.

Thanks for the reply. Of course, that's all in my C1 and I still have the defaults if I switch back to one of the standard modes. Having said that, I still want my anti-lock brakes even when I'm not in D and most cars recognize the need to keep acceleration and braking isolated  😉 Fingers crossed that Canon will see this or a similar post soon...

mhaagmans
Apprentice

I totally agree with you that this is a bug and I ran into the same behavior. Given that there are only 3 buttons that do anything in "playback" mode, zoom being one of them why would it disappear when you customize that button in "record" mode. My other system is M4/3 and it has special reassigment options for playback mode, which is very convenient. I like to make one of my buttons "protect". My wife's R5 doesn't exhibit this behavior. While I can make the * (star) button the protect button, I have now lost the option of assigning it to something in "record" mode. Speaking of customizing buttons, is the joystick push/click event programmable? That could be a game changer. If you could assign it a different focus mode (like on the R5) that would be soooo helpful. Could be achieved with a firmware upgrade if enough users would request it.

Yes, I fully agree with your idea to allow the joystick and button be reprogrammed for focus mode selection. Especially, since the touch screen can be used to move the focus point with great speed and precision. Too many steps and cluttered options as things stand to change focus areas.

Sorry, but the behavior is not a bug.  You cannot have it both ways.  You either have the default programming or your custom programming.  Take your pick.  You cannot do both.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements