cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 Focus Stacking forces electronic shutter

rpoole
Contributor

The R7, and other R series cameras, forces electronic shutter for focus stacking. This prevents the use of flash for focus stacking. There is no really good reason for not allowing mechanical shutter for focus stacking and the choice of which shutter should be left up to the photographer, not the camera. Does anyone know of any workarounds that can allow the use of flash with the built-in focus stacking?

57 REPLIES 57

Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus (now OM Systems), Sony, Nikon (certain cameras) do. But the readout speed IS NOT fast enough. Therefor flash photography IS incompatible with the electronic shutter. Only the EOS R3 offers this feature because of the faster readout speed. This IS a hardware limitation not something that can fixed using firmware.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I do not understand what sensor readout speed has to do with it.  

Unlike the Fuji in the video, the Canon setup does not allow for control of the interval between shots.  The camera will capture the images at the fastest possible frame rate.  Changing the Drive Mode has no effect.  Focus Bracketing seems to always use  High Speed Continuous Drive Mode.

Unless, the R3 allows you to control the interval between shots in the Focus Bracketing menu, then I do not see how it could allow for flash, either. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The R3 allows because of the Back Side Illuminated Sensor (BSI) I believe. This was the most common reason stated in multiple forums. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

@deebatman316 wrote:

The R3 allows because of the Back Side Illuminated Sensor (BSI) I believe. This was the most common reason stated in multiple forums. 

Again, what does sensor readout speed have to do with it?  In fact, I don’t think shutter mode has anything to do with the issue, either.

The way I see it, the problem is that the frame rate in focus bracketing mode is WAY too fast to use a flash.  You are not able to control or vary the interval time between shots.  

In the posted video, a sequence of 40 sample shots is used.  I think she set the interval to 1 second between shots.  The entire sequence was initiated and completed in about a minute.  If I setup my R6M2 for 40 shots, it will be completed in less than 2 seconds.  BZZT…Done!

Focus Bracketing always runs at the fastest possible frame rate on my R6M2.  I cannot set an interval between frames.  I would suspect the other models exhibit the same behavior.  You cannot control the interval between shots.

Actually it does. The R3 has a stacked sensor. So the readout is much faster than Canon’s other cameras. Making it fast enough to replace a mechanical shutter for flash sync. So sensor read out is important. The faster the read out the faster the camera can process those images. Especially with cameras with high fps. 

-Demetrius

@deebatman316 wrote:

Actually it does. The R3 has a stacked sensor. So the readout is much faster than Canon’s other cameras. Making it fast enough to replace a mechanical shutter for flash sync. So sensor read out is important. The faster the read out the faster the camera can process those images. Especially with cameras with high fps. 

What does any of that have to do with using a flash?  Nothing I can see.

FACT.  The camera bodies can capture 20-40 fps with or without a stacked sensor.  

FACT:  The recharge times of flash/strobe systems cannot keep up with 20-40 fps.

It allows you to use the electronic shutter with flash photography. So it is important. That's why other R series cameras don't fire the flash when using the electronic shutter. They don't have the BSI sensor like the R3. So please read up on the info on BSI sensors.

-Demetrius

Canonon
Apprentice

Hello, R5 owner here with the same problem.

Why are you defending Canon without good reason?

It's just a joke that it is not possible to use the flash with the focus bracketing feature. It has nothing to do with the sensor because you could just fix that by giving a delay setting for the focus-bracketing.

As mentioned. It is a very common (necessary) way of taking macro shots.

No need to learn something about the sensor or buy a video light. Maybe learn something about the disgusting way of Canons marketing. It would be easy to add this in a firmware update.

The flash can't recharge fast enough for a regular sensor readout speed.

-Demetrius

Thats why i was talking about a delay (limit fps).

But as metioned before. It's not a problem for a flash at 1/32 if we could set a delay (limit fps) while using the elctronical shutter (with flash) or use the mechanical shutter.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements