cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 not focussing when using strobe light - red square appears when pressing the focus button

mojito
Contributor

Why, why, why? Will the R6 not focus? I always get the red square when I focus on the eyes - and not the green. And yet when I switch to manual AF it's focusses fine.

Settings are:

ISO: 200
Shutter: 160
Aperture: 7.1
Lens: EOS 70-200mm
Focal Length: 85mm

HELP!

10 REPLIES 10

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If this happens when using the strobe have you checked that focus assist is enabled for flas photography?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

mojito
Contributor

Oh no, I didn't even know about that function.
Will look it up and check my camera setting (in the morning :))

Thank you so much. I will update on the morrow. 

Best,

Josie

mojito
Contributor

Sorry -  I might not have made myself clear. Why won't it focus on AF? 

The focus assist works only for the Manual focus setting - is that right? Which by the way, it does when I set the camera to manual focus. Works great. 
But I want to auto focus using the strobe.

What kind of flash unit are you using?

If you look on P153 of the user manual, is says "the Speedlite will automatically fire a focus assist beam as needed, if autofocusing is difficult under low light".   Thus this should work: if it doesn't check your Speedlite settings and if necessary refer to its documentation.  If it is not a Canon Speedlite, definitely refer to the flash maker's documentation.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks!
I'm using the Godox 400AD Pro. Have just done a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a focus assist beam with this model/brand? 

You're right, I think it's a low light thing. Frustrating. I'm not sure why all of a sudden it won't auto focus when it has operated in similar set up, before.

If it DID work on this camera before, perhaps do a camera reset and see if some unknown setting has changed the situation?

cheers, TREVOR

mojito
Contributor

Thanks, Trevor.
Yes, will try that. Was trying to avoid resetting so that I don't lose my awesome presets - but the pain of not having autofocus is far greater. 
Will see how it goes...

save your current settings to one of C1-c3 modes, before you do a reset?

cheers, TREVOR

mojito
Contributor

omg - YES! Thanks. Heaps. (NZ slang)

Announcements