cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 freezing

wsulz
Apprentice

My R6 freezes randomly, where I need to remove the battery to get it to function again.  Not even able to power it off when freezes.  It is not my battery, or sd cards.  I use a canon adapter for sigma art lenses.  I also sometime will get a small electrical shock when I spin the back wheel looking through images, and sometime small shocks through other buttons.  I have heard others have needed motherboard replaced, seems like a power issue, espeically with the shocks I a getting through some buttons.  Ugh. 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Canon Community.

Electrical shocks!  That’s extraordinary.  Your camera needs to be serviced.  BTW, if you are using the same memory cards that you used in your 6D or 6D2, then you’re using the wrong memory cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Stephen

Hello.

This is not how your camera should be operating. Please get in touch with support about this immediately to troubleshoot. Our team is available Monday through Friday at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Nothing in the R6 would be generating enough voltage to cause electrical shocks, it doesn't have an internal flash or use old style info displays that required an internal inverter to develop higher voltage for those parts.

Getting a shock from moving the controls is a classic "symptom" of static electricity being developed and those same static discharges often cause a malfunction of electronic devices and at severe levels can result in component damage.  Are you in a very low humidity environment?  Are you using a camera strap or harness that is rubbing against your clothing and building up static electricity? Has the camera been cleaned or sprayed with anything (some cleaning products and coatings promote the development of static electricity).

Once you find and remove the cause of static buildup, your shocks and freeze-up behavior should go away.  As a temporary measure, you can rub a dryer sheet over the strap and your clothing and lightly over the controls as the agent in these designed to reduce static cling in your clothes dryer will help prevent and dissipate static electricity buildup on other products.  This is a typical method used to reduce the static buildup issue that occurs with high sensitivity analog electrical meter movements built into plastic cases when they begin deflecting due to static buildup in extremely low humidity weather.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
click here to view the gallery
Announcements