cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 firmware 1.6: Will not allow me to update

SLFphotographer
Apprentice

I downloaded the new 1.6 firmware for the R6, copied it onto the card and everything goes fine until the last step:

Update firmware? 

1.52 ->1.60

The "OK" option is greyed out, all that I can do is cancel.

No lenses attached, camera is on <P>, inserted a full battery right before beginning.  Have not had any problem with previous firmware updates. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lotus7
Rising Star

This is a VERY common problem for those trying to update firmware in any of the EOS R Series bodies:   
Like all of the R Series bodies, before you can select OK you MUST use the main control dial* to select the "OK option (not the SET button).  After clicking on the control dial the OK option will not be greyed out.  You should then be able to press the "SET" button to start the installation of V. 1.6.0.  Canon's "2-step" confirmation of R-Series firmware replacement (without prompts)  is somewhat confusing until you've done it a few times. 

Since you see the "1.52 ->1.60" prompt, everything else is fine.  The greyed out "OK" is just to the make sure you really want to replace the firmware. This happens to many EOS R users the first time they update firmware, and may be something that Canon DSLR users are not familiar with. 

Finally:  As Cannon indicates, be sure you have a fully charged battery, although the V 1.6.0 update only takes a minute or two to load and rarely drains the battery more than a few percent.

*The main control dial is the "larger" dial that is concentric with the "SET" button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Please check that the 1.6.0 upgrade file is an .FIR file and is for your camera.  There is another one out for the R5 and the two cannot be switched.  If that is not the case, then I would recommend downloading the firmware again, and if necessary from another source.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes, confirmed correct R6 software, downloaded from USA Canon site.  Repeated, did not work. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with Trevor.  Make sure you have the right file for your camera model.  Make sure the file is in the root directory.  I always use a freshly formatted card to do an update.  Follow the instructions from the download page!

Be sure to only use firmware for your country of origin.  For example, if you purchased your camera outside the US and North America, let’s say Europe.  I do not think installing the firmware from Canon USA web site will install on a camera purchased outside of the US.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, confirmed correct R6 software, downloaded from USA Canon site.  Freshly formatted card, all by the book. Repeated, same phenotype.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Lotus7
Rising Star

This is a VERY common problem for those trying to update firmware in any of the EOS R Series bodies:   
Like all of the R Series bodies, before you can select OK you MUST use the main control dial* to select the "OK option (not the SET button).  After clicking on the control dial the OK option will not be greyed out.  You should then be able to press the "SET" button to start the installation of V. 1.6.0.  Canon's "2-step" confirmation of R-Series firmware replacement (without prompts)  is somewhat confusing until you've done it a few times. 

Since you see the "1.52 ->1.60" prompt, everything else is fine.  The greyed out "OK" is just to the make sure you really want to replace the firmware. This happens to many EOS R users the first time they update firmware, and may be something that Canon DSLR users are not familiar with. 

Finally:  As Cannon indicates, be sure you have a fully charged battery, although the V 1.6.0 update only takes a minute or two to load and rarely drains the battery more than a few percent.

*The main control dial is the "larger" dial that is concentric with the "SET" button.

SLFphotographer
Apprentice

YES tis did it!   Thanks!

Announcements