cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 auto ISO problem

Sborg
Contributor

I usually have my R6 set with Auto ISO on and locked, and I shoot in TV or Aperture mode.  I've noticed on several occasions that when I look through the viewfinder to frame a shot, the view is washed out because the Auto ISO is high, e.g. 25600, even though the weather is bright and sunny. The setting will be stuck at that level and I have to turn the camera off and back on.  This usually happens when I haven't taken a shot for several minutes, typically when the camera has been sitting besides me on the car seat.

What would cause the Auto ISO to jump to an inordinately high level when idle?

20 REPLIES 20

awilliams
Apprentice

am having this same issue! T he ISO just jumps up to 12800 for no reason. It's very hard to be consistent and not be freaking out when you camera is doing things that you can fix in the moment!  What is up with this?! 

I will be on ISO (I control it) and then all of a sudden AUTO ISO will turn itself on, for no rhyme or reason.  

Anyone have any idea?  I recently shut off the Sspeed from metering/ISO when the camera is not in use, and that seems to possibly be it. It  seems Auto ISO goes on after you bring the camera back online?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

First thing is to check your firmware. For the R5 or R6, at time of writing, it should be 1.6.0. If not update it.

What lenses are you using?

What metering mode?

Have you made any customization settings? If in doubt, save your current config to one of the C# values and do a camera reset.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jmontygo
Contributor

I had this same issue and resetting my R6 fixed it for me. Obviously had to spend a few minutes reconfiguring my camera but life is good again.

@jmontygo wrote:

I had this same issue and resetting my R6 fixed it for me. Obviously had to spend a few minutes reconfiguring my camera but life is good again.

I gave up trying to offer suggestions once the OP declared cycling power is quicker and easier, even though doing so would “fix” his problems.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Dan28
Apprentice

I have the same problem with my R6 MarkII. Random loss of auto ISO when shooting in P mode. Impossible to restore because not in ISO settings! I have to turn it off and it doesn't always work on the 1st try...
When will Canon fix this bug?

@Dan28 wrote:

I have the same problem with my R6 MarkII. Random loss of auto ISO when shooting in P mode. Impossible to restore because not in ISO settings! I have to turn it off and it doesn't always work on the 1st try...
When will Canon fix this bug?

You should start new thread for your issue.  The more threads there are about a specific, then the more likely someone at Canon may take notice of it.

JAYSTATON
Contributor

Both my R6 and R occasionally switch to Auto ISO.  I NEVER use Auto ISO.  I shoot alot of family/wedding beach sunset photos with off-camera flash.  Normally shoot it with ISO about 100-200.  Then the camera changes my ISO to Auto for no reason.  I have to manually change my ISO range to 200 max to stop it.  And once it does it, it does it alot during the shoot.

You should start a new thread for your issue.  The more threads there are about the same issue the more likely Canon Support may notice.  This forum is not Canon Support or Help.

I suggest that you review the button and control functionality on the camera body and the lens.  There are multiple ways to change ISO that you may not be aware of.  I find Fv mode to be easy to dangerous because it is too easy to accidentally change settings.

For example, I believe the default behavior for the lens control ring is ISO control.  I keep this disabled because it is very easy to bump and change the setting.  

Another recommendation is to use custom shooting modes with auto-update disabled.  I do well over 90% of my shooting using a custom mode when I must get the settings right.  Once the metering timer expires, everything goes back to the user defined defaults.  Any changes whether intentional or accidental are created out.

Hi Waddizzle.

I started a new thread as you suggested.  Thank you!

I am familiar with FV and would never use it.  And my lenses are all EF; without the ring.  

When I set the ISO to 100, and half press the shutter button, the camera shouldn't change the manually set ISO to AUTO ISO.

bvf
Contributor

I ended up finding this thread as I was having problems with Auto ISO on an R6 Mk II (with latest firmware installed). My problems, at least some of which relate to this thread, were:

1) In fully auto (green A+) mode, auto ISO would appear to work, but then ISO gets stuck at 25,600.

2) In modes like Av, if I pick Auto ISO the camera only selects low ISO values, typically 100-200, meaning over-long exposure times.

3) In modes like Av, if I choose Auto ISO then I get into some state where Auto is displayed in light grey on the screen alongside any ISO value I then select manually, and my selected ISO value gets changed by the camera. And I cannot get back to Auto on the ISO selection dial - it just isn't there.

I've found two things that resolve my problems:

a) Over on dpreview, a correspondent pointed out that pressing M-Fn twice resets the ISO selection function to its original state before you selected Auto. This works for me, but I guess may not work if you have customised that button.

b) In the menu settings, Camera Menu 2 > ISO speed settings > Min. shutter spd. , I had set a manual value of 1 second. When I re-set this to the Auto (standard) setting it resolved the problem of the camera selecting only low ISO values in Av.

Announcements