cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 MK2 not recognized by Photos on Mac OS

troym
Apprentice

This used to work before I upgraded to Sonoma so this may be an Apple issue. The Mk2 is not on the list of supported cameras, just the R6 Mk1.  I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue with my setup or a broader issue. If it's a broader issue I'll stop troubleshooting and will wait for a fix.  I also tried on an older Mac that runs Ventura / Mac OS 13 and it doesn't work there either.  I updated the camera's firmware to the latest version and tried using different USBC cables - all the basics.  Are others with the R6 Mk2 able to get Photos to recognize your camera?  Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Since it was working before (macOS Ventura I take it), it does sound like this is an issue with Photos.  Which you'd need to contact Apple support or see if their forums reveal any solutions or workarounds.

I cannot offer any thoughts myself as I only use Photos for images captured on iPhones.  I use Adobe Lightroom for all my main photography.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Plug it in and run Image Capture directly.

The camera is not recognized by Image Capture either. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure that Wi-Fi is disabled in the camera or the USB port won't work.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Also make sure it is a real USB-C cable and not a charging only abomination.

troym
Apprentice

I think that there are a couple things going on, but I've made some progress. I have 2 Macs, a 15" MBP 2017 running Ventura 13.6 and a 2019 Mac Pro running the latest version of Sonoma. Earlier today I could not get either Mac to recognize the camera when I plugged it in. I went into the camera settings and chose the "Reset camera" option and reset "Basic settings" and under "Other settings" I reset the "Communication settings". I also chose to "Reset communication settings: on the same menu as the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth setup. After doing these resets the MacBook Pro recognized the camera and successfully imported photos. I unplugged the cable and moved the cable and camera over to the Mac Pro and it still does not recognize the camera.  So it could be a Sonoma issue or it could be a setting in the camera itself.  Weird, but I thought I'd provide an update.

Upgrading to Mac OS 14.1 resolved this problem. Photos once again recognizes the camera and can import photos.  (This was also affecting video import in Final Cut Pro but that's fixed too).

Announcements