cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5ii black EVF/no image displayed/preview failure

leifdixon
Apprentice

Brand new R5ii. Haven't even taken it out of the house yet and have just been doing some test shots around the house. Less than 50 shutter clicks in and I've already had a failure: the EVF wouldn't show a preview image. The folding screen was closed, so that shouldn't be an issue of trying to switch between the screen and the EVF.

The EVF was still showing the normal status icons (exposure, battery, etc) but where there should've been a preview image it was just black. I had already taken several shots before with the EVF working properly and then it just randomly stopped working. I did several shutter releases in a row thinking it would self-correct but it didn't. I then opened the back screen and a preview image appeared. I immediately closed the back screen again and this appeared to reset the EVF, which then displayed a preview image again.

Shocked and disappointed that this is happening after only just a few minutes of use on a brand new camera. Do I have a bad body? Or is this a need for new firmware?

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Call 800-OK-CANON immediately and talk to a tech support person.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements