cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 Digital IS tracking object on filming

junenguyen
Apprentice

Hi,

I am new to Canon EOS R and recently got my R8 for Videography, and when I was using Digital IS on R8, I found out the camera is tracking object for image stabilizing, and the screen keep bouncing with the object. Can I turn off the Object tracking Image Stabilizer? My Canon M50 has Digital IS too but it doesn't track object.

Thank you for reading this. I have been asking around the internet and has not found any solution.

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What lens are you using Canon or 3rd Party also what brand mount adapter if applicable. Are you shooting handheld or on a tripod.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

I use Canon EF 50mm with canon EF to EOS R mount, handheld.

Edit: I will try it on tripod and be back later, however my priority is handheld

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome:

When you say it is tracking 'object' what object is it tracking please.  There is a lot more to the R8 than the M50 and you need to do your homework on the focus and tracking system.  If you have not done so you need to review the manual for that section at least.
You may find the following videos helpful:
Canon R8 Tutorial Training Video Overview Users Guide Set Up - Made for Beginners (youtube.com)  and...
Unlocking Canon R8's Video Potential | Essential Tips for Beginners (youtube.com)

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi, thanks for the reply. The problem still stay.

I was using alot of Sony, so I seen how their IBIS works. And recently I switched to Canon R8, the stabilizer does track object to stabilize. It's not like the Auto Focus, it's like when you use the Motion Tracking in After Effects to stabilize your image, the object(like a spoon adding seasons, a fruit got peeled on a hand) stay still but the background keep bouncing. This is quite frustrating, and I dont know if there are any way to change this configuration.

Announcements