cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5

Billb1
Apprentice

Any idea when the price of the newest cameras R5 and R6 might come down? I know it will depend on the release of newer cameras, I was wondering if there are any rumors of new releases?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The R5 is selling for the same price today as it was when released 2 yrs ago.  The release of the R 7, 10, 3, 5C, etc won't change this.  Canon had a clear winner, they know it and I would expect pricing to remain consistent (high).  Its one of the reasons I waited so long to switch to mirrorless.  Price of admission to 45MP's and a trio of RF glass is about $12k.  Way beyond what the average person or enthusiast might consider reasonable or be willing to spend.  It may drop a little (marginally) when the R5s is released.  That should be announced at the end of this year, but I don't see it being available until Feb or March 2023.  It won't be in direct competition with the R5 (most people don't need 100+ MP's) so there would be little incentive for Canon to lower its price.  We are all cringing to even put gas in our cars right now, let alone buying new camera body's.  📷

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Add to what Rick has said with the fact that the supply chain is under ongoing stress to supply the materials and parts for manufacture of components: everything from screws to chips.  This is a hangover from the pandemic and the war in Ukraine is not helping things either - as Rick has said, even the cost of shipping is rising dramatically because of the price of fuel.  If you are feeling pain over in the US, think of us in NZ: we import every drop and right now we are paying $3.30NZ/litre and rising - that's over $12NZ/US Gallon - and within a country you don't convert the currency, what you see is what you take out of your income.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The R5 is selling for the same price today as it was when released 2 yrs ago.  The release of the R 7, 10, 3, 5C, etc won't change this.  Canon had a clear winner, they know it and I would expect pricing to remain consistent (high).  Its one of the reasons I waited so long to switch to mirrorless.  Price of admission to 45MP's and a trio of RF glass is about $12k.  Way beyond what the average person or enthusiast might consider reasonable or be willing to spend.  It may drop a little (marginally) when the R5s is released.  That should be announced at the end of this year, but I don't see it being available until Feb or March 2023.  It won't be in direct competition with the R5 (most people don't need 100+ MP's) so there would be little incentive for Canon to lower its price.  We are all cringing to even put gas in our cars right now, let alone buying new camera body's.  📷

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Add to what Rick has said with the fact that the supply chain is under ongoing stress to supply the materials and parts for manufacture of components: everything from screws to chips.  This is a hangover from the pandemic and the war in Ukraine is not helping things either - as Rick has said, even the cost of shipping is rising dramatically because of the price of fuel.  If you are feeling pain over in the US, think of us in NZ: we import every drop and right now we are paying $3.30NZ/litre and rising - that's over $12NZ/US Gallon - and within a country you don't convert the currency, what you see is what you take out of your income.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Canon Rumors dot com has proven to be a reliable source for information.  Premium which is only 91 octane in CA is currently about $6.60/gal.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ha! 😁   Well, we are all suffering, directly or indirectly.  I am lucky to drive an all-electric vehicle, so I must admit I feel relieved to be able to pass by the pumps and charge my car for free at the mall!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements