cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 with limited video options

matt03wfu
Contributor

New to the EOS --- great camera!  Using a CFexpress card/NTSC.   My issue is that on the Movie rec quality menu, I only have options to select from 4K-U or FHD; then 59.94p, 29.97p, 23.98p; then IPB.   Any idea why I am unable to access other formats (8K, 4K-D, etc)? 

Thanks!

Matt

12 REPLIES 12

Lotus7
Rising Star

If your CF Express Type-B card is not fast enoungh the higher speed/resolution formats may not be available.

4K IPB (29.97) only requires  a write speed of 120 Mbps (59.94 needs 340 Mbps) , while 8K IPB needs 470 Mbps and 8K DCI  (ALL-I) requires 1300 Mbps.

Another possibility to check is that you may have enabled crop mode.  If so high frame rates won't be avaiable in crop mode.

thanks for the input -- my 512GB CFexpress card can write 1700MB/s.  I don't see that crop mode has been enabled though my menu can't even pull up that option (I see where it is supposed to be on the shooting menu in the advanced guide).  Checked my firmware version which is 1.0.0.  

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
Matt

By any chance do you have a EF-S lens mounted?  If so that will force the R5 into "crop mode" and, of course, limit frame resolution options.  The Otherwise, with a RF or EF lens, you should be able to access all of the video modes.

Thank you, but I have the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM

And here's a shot of my limited video selections:

IMG_4268.jpg

Which memory card is being used to save your video?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using this one:

wise_advanced_cfx_b512_cfexpress_xqd_card_512gb_1593097564_1509582.jpg

Have youtried changing the Recording/Playback card selections?  i.e.:  "Standard" , "Auto Switch" or "Card-1" only?

R5 Card Selection.jpg

One other thought:  Setup Menu-1:  You might try try switching "Still/Video Seperate" (Enabled/Disabled).  The R5 has many buried menu functions that if enabled can disable or limit other functions which are not mentioned in the manual.

Announcements