cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 stops responding/freezing - autofocus stops working

kwanfs
Contributor

Hi,

I recently noticed that my R5 autofocus would occasionally becomes unresponsive in video mode. Even when I press the shutter button to focus, nothing happens. When this happens, I also noticed when changing to Picture mode the screen will go dark and would not comeback. I have to press the menu button then exit and it would switch to picture mode. But this doesn't bring back the autofocus. To rectify this I have to turn off/on the camera. This has happened with Firmware V1.4 and now Firmware V1.5. I think this happened three times now. Twice with Firmware V1.4. It is worth mentioning that I got the camera 3 months ago, but I was just doing photography. Only recently I started playing with Video mode and so far I only shoot short clips ~ 3min. 

Relevant info:

1. I am shooting to CF Express in both picture & video mode. I am using Sony Tough 128GB CF Ex.
  2. Last time this happened, I ejected the CF Express card and put back while it is still on. It solved the the problem without having to turn off/on
  3. When this happens, the red led is not on
  4. Lens: RF 24-70 F2.8 (only lens I have)
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My first instinct says you may have an issue with the memory card.  Did you format the card in the camera prior to first use?  Do you have another CF Express card, or SD card, that you could try?

Warning:  If your camera is experiencing hardware malfunctions, DO NOT try to update the firmware in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No, I haven't formatted the cards when I got them. I don't see why is that needed. I got an SD Card on the 2nd slot, but not using it. 

I will format both cards in camera. And I'll shoot to CF Express, if it happens, I'll switch to the SD card and see. Problem that it happens randomly & occasionally. 

@kwanfs wrote:

No, I haven't formatted the cards when I got them. I don't see why is that needed.

You should always format the cards (media) in the device that will be using it.  This has been true for all digital media (back to floppy disks), be it SD cards, compact flash, hard disks, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I posted an update. Could you please have a look? 

kwanfs
Contributor

Update - 

After formatting memory cards and resetting camera basic settings, today I got another freeze. I was recording short clips when I noticed the camera stopped autofocusing. I can record, stop and record. It just doesn't focus (see attached video). Also, after I switched to picture mode the live view froze and after few secs it went dark, and when I try to take a photo it shows BUSY (see attached video). For the past week I was shooting 4K IPB, but today I switched to ALL-I and then this happened. And I think I was shooting ALL-I when the past freezes happened. This time, I ejected the SD Card, not the CF Express and the camera returned to normal operation. I think the camera just resets if any of the memory cards are ejected. 

Edit: I just noticed on the 2nd video that I've attached, the buffer counter reads 84 but after I press the shutter button it goes 0 and says BUSY. 

Announcements