cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 forgets AEB

arnold_hdr
Apprentice

R5 forgets the AEB-Sequence I set up when it's turned off.

I want to have a 7-shot bracketing sequence on C1.

I think I do everything right.

• Av-Mode.
  • Number of shots in C.Fn1.
  • Set up the sequence in SHOOT-2.
  • Register settings in SETUP-5. Auto-Update is set to "Enable".
  • Switch to C1. Everything ok.
  • Back to Av. Fine.
  • Again to C1. Still fine.

Turn camera off and on again. Still in C1 but sequence is now gone. Number of shots and offset has been retained though.

This used to work perfectly on the 5D4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

Have you tried Registering to C1 with Auto-Update left disabled?

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

amfoto1
Authority

Have you tried Registering to C1 with Auto-Update left disabled?

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

What? How? Why?

That is literally the last thing I would have thought of. Makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks for the "solution" 😉

And all changes I then do to C1 are lost. Either they don't register if auto-update is "off" or C1 gets reset if I set it to "on".

This is sooo broken it's ridiculous.

@arnold_hdr wrote:

And all changes I then do to C1 are lost. Either they don't register if auto-update is "off" or C1 gets reset if I set it to "on".

This is sooo broken it's ridiculous.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  You are not alone in finding it confusing.

The custom shooting modes are not intended to be a storage mechanism for your current camera settings.  If that is the functionality that you seek, then simply do not use a custom shooting mode.  All of your configuration  changes will be retained.

The intended use case for a custom shooting mode is to enable you to quickly reconfigure the camera to a “preset” of camera settings.  The primary reason the update feature is made available is so that you can edit the preset configuration, and then disable the update option again.

For example, I use C1 to for photographing a bird sitting on a branch.  I use One Shot AF, 1-pt AF point selection, BBF configured for [AF-ON], M shooting mode, and preset exposure settings.  

I use C2 for action photography like birds in flight.  I use AI Servo AF, Full Zone AF with an Initial AF point pre-selected, BBF is set for [AF-OFF], M Shooting, and preset exposure settings.

With one change to shooting mode, the behavior of the camera completely changes.  Different AF mode, AF points, even custom button programming.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements