R5 firmware rollback

R5-ed
Apprentice

Need advice on R5, please.

Updated R5 from firmware 1.5.2 to 2.0 and desperately want to return to 1.5.2. I've seen YT vids on dropping battery door and changing out sd cards while update in progress. Does it work? 

TIA

5 REPLIES 5

R5-ed
Apprentice

Thanks 😉

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Firmware downgrade is not officially supported or recommended.  I can't with good conscience provide the process, but I will tell you that "dropping the battery door" is never a good idea.  

Huge improvements in performance were made between 1.5.2 and 2.0.  May I ask what was so magic about v1.5.2?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply. 

The AF took a HUGE hit with the FW update so I successfully "downgraded" last week.

Now the thing can focus on Great Dane-sized fawns 15 feet away again - instead of some random leaves in the upper left frame. 😀 

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

What focusing set up do you use on your camera?
Do you use evaluative or some other variant?
Do you have animal eye/face tracking with Servo set up?
Do you hold focus with the shutter button or use Back Button Focus?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

R5-ed
Apprentice

Thanks for trying to help.

I use triple BBF mostly with evaluative, servo unless doing landscape photography.

This camera is a dud. I missed the return window due to lockdowns.  It came with a misaligned sensor which Canon finally repaired after gaslighting me because I wasn't a pro and consequently couldn't tell an in-focus shot from a consistently back-focused one. There is still something wrong with the on-sensor AF tho.  It never has, and never will focus consistently but I live with it in FW 1.5.2.

Because Canon would not even offer me a refurb replacement I have been stuck with this for years now. I'm just waiting for more info from stills photographers on how AF on R5 ii is for SMALL birds before deciding my next step. But I needed to get this thing back to quasi-reliability for perched birds as sapsucker season is rapidly approaching.

Anyway, I learned a hard lesson and will never buy another pricey camera without renting first, then thoroughly testing my copy during the return window. Live and learn.

PS. Big 👍 on the Tolstoy quote, my favorite author!

Announcements