cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 exposure compensation assigned to a dial does not work with auto ISO

Bazsl
Rising Star

I have exposure compensation assigned to quick control dial 2. This works as expected in Tv and Av modes. In manual mode with ISO set to Auto turning the dial does not add exposure compensation. Instead, it changes the ISO. However, if I go to the Quick Control screen and add exposure compensation it works. Is this a bug or am I missing something? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mary,

I have a Canon T8i. Without knowing what model of camera you have, this is how mine is handled:

Hit your menu button. Scroll over to the menu item that looks like a little wrench, and hit your Set button.

Go to the 5th tab or submenu. It's called Custom Functions. Select it.

Scroll over to Custom Function# 13. It's called Custom Controls. Hit your Set Button.

You'll find an Option in there for programming your Set button. One of the choices in there is to use your Set button in conjunction with the main dial to alter your exposure compensation up or down.

Select that and then back out of your Menu operations by hitting the Menu button a couple of times.

Steve Thomas.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Bazsl
Rising Star

This appears to be a bug. If I assign exposure compensation to the control ring on the lens it works in manual with auto ISO.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

This is actually covered in the manual; see page 119 of the new version 1.5.0 manual (which you can get from the USA support site: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Actually, on my camera (running firmware 1.5.0) it works -- in M mode, with ISO set to Auto, control dial 2, which is the "Mode" dial, does set exposure compensation.

However the idea of exposure compensation in M mode is a bit odd.  Tv and Av are auto-exposure modes, so telling the camera to "bump" the exposure with a compensation makes sense.  In manual mode, you're basically telling the camera that you're taking control of exposure by setting the correct shutter and aperure.  So personally I would set the ISO manually, so I know what dynamic range / noise I'm getting, then adjust the exposure as desired using the shutter, aperture and ISO controls.

I reprogrammed the dials on my R5 and exposure compensation is working. Apparently, something caused the control dial 2 to revert to its default function of ISO. Another of life's mysteries. 

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sadly, today's tech products are full of mysteries.... 😉

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried programming the [SET] button for Exposure Compensation?  Hold the button pressed while turning the Main Dail?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi.  Can you help me set up the "set" button to be used for exposure compensation?  I have looked in the manual and cannot find this info.  Thanks. Mary

You have to look in the Custom Controls menu.

You can access the Custom Controls menu from the [Q] menu, Quick Menu.  Select the icon on the right edge that looks like a camera.  Review Custom Controls section of the manual for whatever camera you have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mary,

I have a Canon T8i. Without knowing what model of camera you have, this is how mine is handled:

Hit your menu button. Scroll over to the menu item that looks like a little wrench, and hit your Set button.

Go to the 5th tab or submenu. It's called Custom Functions. Select it.

Scroll over to Custom Function# 13. It's called Custom Controls. Hit your Set Button.

You'll find an Option in there for programming your Set button. One of the choices in there is to use your Set button in conjunction with the main dial to alter your exposure compensation up or down.

Select that and then back out of your Menu operations by hitting the Menu button a couple of times.

Steve Thomas.

I have a Canon R5..I appreciate the quick responses. I found the “set button” under custom buttons and so was able to get extra compensation set up . Thanks again Mary

Announcements