cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 RF100-500 AF BIF Can't Acquire when camouflage background

TLang
Apprentice

I've had the R5 with RF100-500 for a year with very impressive results. That being said, the R5 with the RF100-500 has a terrible time with BIF when there are trees in the background. When shooting photos In the blue sky, no problem, the animal eye detect + tracking nails it. White bird, dark bird, doesn't matter. When shooting into the blue sky, it gets the bird. But when there are trees across the horizon in the background, call it camouflage, it can't find the bird. Even when the bird is large and near (e.g. Egret or Osprey at 50 yds), the AF will not acquire. It searches the camo background but can't find the object.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Regards, TL

5 REPLIES 5

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Yes! It is a struggle. I use manual focus override, which is tough and sometimes I don't have enough time to lock on. It did get better after fir 1.5.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The gear will only do what you ask it to do.  If you ask the wrong questions, then you will get the wrong answers.  You did not post a sample photo of your issue.  I recommend posting a sample photo to help others to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If at all possible, please post an uncropped imaged.  And, let us know what AF mode and AF points were active and selected.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... the R5 with the RF100-500 has a terrible time with BIF when there are trees in the background."

That is common for any camera/lens. Even worse if there are trees or branches in the foreground.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... and AF points were active and selected."

Good point. You may want to use just the center AF point and turn the others off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements