cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5, R6 Mark II, or R6

TRom
Apprentice

I have been shooting on the Canon EOS Rebel T7 for the past 2 or 3 years now and was looking into upgrading from my dslr to a full frame mirrorless camera. I don't know the specifics behind mp and such. I usually shoot a mix of wildlife, automotive, and landscape photography. I feel like I am being hindered by low light situations and not having a foldable screen. My question to yall is what would be the best camera to get the greatest outcome and value?

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Well, if you want good advice we need some more information:
1.  What is your budget value - i.e. a dollar amount (assume you are from the US? - this is an international site)
2.  What lenses do you have - specifically, are they EF or EF-S lenses and what focal lengths.
3.  Do you want to use your existing lenses or will your budget include the purchase of optics?

Is there a reason did not do research to know about the basic camera specs?  This is basic information that you can and should assess and has implications for what you produce, which is something you need to consider on your own behalf.  If you shoot for social media, digital display and moderate sized prints, the R6 series is fine.  If you need to create very large, high-resolution prints, or do a lot of cropping, then the R5 has a lot more MP, but that comes at the cost of slightly lower dynamic range compared to the R6 series.

Your subject range is very diverse:
Wildlife: will require long lenses, and if they are zoom units what you have will be significant as long lenses are expensive.  The three bodies you mention all have great sensors and excellent face and eye tracking, plus In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS), which makes them significantly superior for hand-held wildlife photography.
Automotive: depending on how close you get to the vehicles - is this for racing, or shows - you would be using moderate telephoto lenses for the former, and normal to wide angle range lenses for the latter.
Landscape: generally imply wider angle lenses, although one can use standard and telephoto under specific conditions.

In short, your wide range of subjects has a significant impact on what optics you should consider.  Full-frame cameras will give you advantages on the wider angle (shorter focal length) ranges, but will not seem to have the same magnification power at the long end compared to the same lenses on your T7.

So, you are looking at a bunch of lenses, again why we need specific details of what you have.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

To answer your first question my budget is around 2,500. Second all my lens are currently ef and efs ranging from wide angle (10-22), two telescopic (100 - 400 and 75 - 300) as well as a 50mm prime lens. I have done some research on what some of those things but I have strictly learned dslrs so mirrorless is brand new to me

Thanks for your prompt response.
Definitely recommend you become familiar with the basics of the models you are considering. There is very little difference in principle between DSLR and Mirrorless in term of MP, but a significant one in terms of the impacts of sensor size and optics.

To help you, we need to know if each lens is an EF or EF-S lens - EF-S lenses (specifically designed for crop sensor bodies) are not suitable for full-frame cameras, and if they are Canon brand or a 3rd party unit like Sigma or Tamron.  So far, what I expect is that you will be looking at replacing at least the telephoto optic and maybe one of the others.  I expect the 75-300 is the Canon EF75-300, which is one of Canon's worst optics, and while it will physically fit an R-series FF body, its optical flaws will be magnified, so that would be best replaced. 

To save you funds, the best bet is to purchase Canon's refurbished units - they are essentially as new, but may have had damaged packaging, or units for demonstration but are as new and come with a warranty and a significant discount.   

The best candidate to replace the EF 75-300 is the RF 100-400 lens, which is available refurbished: as good as new but discounted: Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

The other two lenses: 10-22 and 50mm could be EF or EF-S units as there are models in either platform, so we need to know which they are so we know if we can use them on the R FF bodies via the EF-RF adapter.

To keep within your budget, then we would be looking at the R6 series of bodies.  BOTH are excellent (I have them) and eminently suitable for your purposes, but for your purposes the R6 is the cheaper.   We could also consider the R8, which has most of the features of the R6II (including face tracking and the same sensor), but has no IBIS and has a smaller battery capacity, but is significantly cheaper.  Again, this is why you might want to do some research, but to help you, you might want to watch this video:
Canon EOS R8 vs R6 Mark II vs R6: Which Camera SHOULD You Buy? (youtube.com)

The place to look for these bodies refurbished from Canon is:  Canon Refurbished Cameras & Accessories | Canon U.S.A, Inc.

So, the next thing for you to do, apart from watching the video, is to give use the exact specs on the lenses I mentioned.  Then we can really give you good advice! 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

To clear up some confusion the only lens that I currently own in EF-S is the Wide Angle (10-22), all of the other optics that I own are EF optics. Although I know it will ruin some quality in images my plan was to get the RF to EF mount adapter by canon as I slowly make the change with my optics from EF to RF. Currently I own 2 telescopic optics which include the (Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 and the EF 75-300mm kit lens), 1 prime optic (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8), 1 wide angle lens (Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5) and finally the 18-55mm kit lens. My plan was to replace both kit optics with the Canon RF 24-105mm f2.8.

OK, thanks again! 🙂  This all helps!

Having the telephoto (BTW its telephoto for cameras, not telescopic) EF 100-400 essentially negates the need to use the 75-300, what you could do is sell the T7 with the EF-S 10-22, the 18-55 and the 75-300 to add to your funding.  The first two are essentially incompatible, and the 75-300 range is covered by the far, far superior EF100-400L.   There is one question (at the point of seems picky, but it's significant) is this the EF 100-400L MkII?

I need to explain that when you move from a crop sensor camera, like your T7, what your camera captures with the same lens is different.  If you want to understand the technical reasons for this read the following article:
The effect on what your camera captures because of sensor size 
If you want the short version, to know what lens on a FF camera will capture the same image area as your T7, simply multiply the focal length on a lens used with your T7 by a factor of 1.6.   To help, I will convert what your T7 captures with your existing lenses to what the FF camera would equivalent to.
T7:   10-22,  18-55,  50,  75-300, 100-400
FF:    16-35, 29-88, 80, 120-480, 160-640 
So for the same image areas, on a R-series FF camera, those focal lengths on the lower row will give you what you had before. So, what lenses come closest to those ranges?
RF 15-30, 24-105, 85, 100-400, (150-600).
Now, you already have the EF 100-400, so that range is covered.  So, based on your priorities, your shopping list is covered by the RF 15-30, 24-105, and 150-600 (which is actually a Sigma EF lens, but works perfectly on the R series FF bodies - I and others have done extensive tests to prove that).  That lens could wait until you can afford it.

One other possibility, to give you a more flexible focal range is the absolutely excellent RF 24-240mm lens.  I actually got this as a stopgap as I waited for the RF 24-105L f/4 and I now use it more than that original lens.  It gives amazing results.  See this  list in our Share Your Photos section: Search - Canon Community.

So, I suggest having a look at what your priorities are in terms of lenses and then consider what is left for the camera body.   Considering price (BTW if you watched the video, the prices have changed a lot since then with the R6 body getting a lot cheaper).   My personal priorities are: larger battery, IBIS, battery grip, dual cards, and price.  On that basis I would recommend, the R6 refurbished to get your optics in budget.  However, if you don't feel you need the second card, bigger battery and IBIS, then the R8 is a very compelling camera at a great price.

If this all seems a lot, there are multiple issues to consider and I don't want to dictate an answer to you because that is your decision.   Feel free to respond and ask more questions, and in the meantime I will let you digest that info.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you so much for your help!

The telephoto lens is the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, I am going to continue to keep doing some research on the difference between the three. Hopefully it will have me sway towards a certain body and I am sure I will have a couple of questions after settling on one body.

Tronhard,

Thank you for posting the link to the comparison video Canon EOS R8 vs R6 Mark II vs R6: Which Camera SHOULD You Buy? (youtube.com). This was very helpful. Been going back and forth between the R6 Mii and the R8. I would be taking stills and I do not believe that having one card slot and a smaller battery would be a negative for me. Thank you for posting this valuable video.

Cantrell

Hi Cantrell:

Thanks for you response!  Coming from the T7, where you have not had the dual card slots, it won't really seem any different.  As to the smaller battery, just get a few spares and keep with with you, charged up.   The only other missing factor is the lack of IBIS- but, again, you won't miss it if you don't need it.
At this point you need to consider your lens options, which I don't think we have discussed.  Going to full-frame, even on the R8 with an adapter, your EF-S lenses are not going to be workable. For the greatest benefits, I would definitely consider a move to RF lenses.   EF lenses will work via an adapter, but older optics will show their age on these newer bodies.  FWIW, the following lenses that I have, or have had, work very well on the FF R bodies via the Cano EF-RF adapter.
EF 70-200L II IS USM (both f/2/8 and f/4 versions), 70-300L, 70-300MkII f/4-5.6, 100-400L MkII, Sigma 150-600c and Sigma 60-600s.
The following lenses are acceptable but there are better options in RF: 24-105L f/4- replace with RF 24-105L f/4, and 17-40L - replace with RF 14-35L f/4 IS USM.  Again, I strongly recommend the RF 24-240 IS USM as a brilliant all-in-one unit.
I hope you and Trom will have found this helpful.  If you did, please select one of my posts as a solution.

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard,

Thank you for sharing your expertise on Canon cameras and lenses. Everything that I have read about the RF 24-240mm IS USM lens has been very positive. It the first that I want to use as my everyday lens.

Thank you

Announcements