cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5/R6 2 sec delay photo focus problem

ws_archascents
Contributor

My fiance and I bought a new R6 partially for the flippy screen so we can take selfies together. It's easiest to hold the camera by the lens when taking a selfie but then you can't click the shutter button. I like the 2 second timer option, but it 1)focuses  2)counts down 3) shoots. The order needs to be 1) count down 2)focus 3)shoot.  See video link below for visual description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9U5wdRW5RM

If Canon's reading this, can you please come up with a solution? 

34 REPLIES 34

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I'm sorry.  I don't think that I understand your issue.  What you think needs to be fixed?  Are you complaining about the two second delay when using the two second shutter delay timer?  ???

Have you downloaded a copy of the full User Guide from Canon Support?  The camera can be remotely controlled using Bluetooth and a smart phone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So with my old Nikon the timer mode would count down from 10 to 0. At 0 it would focus one whatever it chose to focus on, which for a selfie was usually the camera holder's face and then take the photo. The canon doesn't do that. THe camera locks focus then counts down and then takes the photo. The problem with that is the subject matter/camera moves while the timer counts down and the subject falls out of focus. I don't think its a software glitch. I'm sure Canon programmed the camera to do it this way. I just want them to add an option where the camera doesn't achieve focus until after the timer counts down. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@ws_archascents wrote:

My fiance and I bought a new R6 partially for the flippy screen so we can take selfies together. It's easiest to hold the camera by the lens when taking a selfie but then you can't click the shutter button. I like the 2 second timer option, but it 1)focuses  2)counts down 3) shoots. The order needs to be 1) count down 2)focus 3)shoot.  See video link below for visual description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9U5wdRW5RM

If Canon's reading this, can you please come up with a solution? 

It is not a problem with the camera.

When you are in Auto AF mode the camera won't actuate the shutter button (and thus start the timer count down) unless the camera has achieved focus. Once the shutter actuates focus is locked.

You could try using manual focus mode, or as suggested, get a remote shutter release (cable or electronic).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah I'm not saying this is a glitch. I'm sure it's designed this way deliberately, but Canon needs to add an option that allows for focusing after the timer counts down. 

Yeah I can use my phone or a remote shutter, but the phone app is a pain to set up for one or two photos and in this modern age of camera phones a $2-3k camera should have the ability to count down then focus preferably while in face/eye track mode. My Nikon could do this so why can't my Canon. 

@ws_archascents wrote:

Yeah I'm not saying this is a glitch. I'm sure it's designed this way deliberately, but Canon needs to add an option that allows for focusing after the timer counts down. 

Yeah I can use my phone or a remote shutter, but the phone app is a pain to set up for one or two photos and in this modern age of camera phones a $2-3k camera should have the ability to count down then focus preferably while in face/eye track mode. My Nikon could do this so why can't my Canon. 

I am pretty certain that you did not mean to misspeak here.  Your old Nikon DSLR did not have face/eye tracking.

Have you tried to turn off the eye/face tracking, and let the camera simply focus on what is closest to it?

I did but that doesn't matter, the camera can still lose focus while it's moving and the timer is counting down.

@ws_archascents wrote:
I did but that doesn't matter, the camera can still lose focus while it's moving and the timer is counting down.

You did....?  What did you do or try?  

Which lens are you using?  What is the MFD of the lens?

What AF Focus mode are you using?  Which AF point(s) are enabled?  What is your AF Case setting?

RF 24-105. Don't know MFD. If it can focus on my face before I extend my arm out then lose focus then MFD isn't the problem. Don't know answers to rest of your questions off top of my head. 

@ws_archascents wrote:

RF 24-105. Don't know MFD. If it can focus on my face before I extend my arm out then lose focus then MFD isn't the problem. Don't know answers to rest of your questions off top of my head. 

"You did....?  What did you do or try?  

Which lens are you using?  What is the MFD of the lens?

What AF Focus mode are you using?  Which AF point(s) are enabled?  What is your AF Case setting?"

There are two RF versions of the 24-105mm.  One has a MFD, minimum focusing distance, of just over 5 inches while the other is just under 18 inches.

If you do not know the answers to the questions I underlined, then you need to find out.  The answers to those questions will tell you wahy the camera is not behaving as you expect.  I have provided the answer to the first question, One Shot AF.

If you do not have a full copy of the User Guide for the camera, then you should download it from the product support page for your camera model at Canon Support.  For now, I suggest that you turn the top dial to Green A, and tell us what happen.

Announcements