cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Overheats Taking Video

kentinada
Contributor

I know there is a lot of discussion about the R5 overheating in video mode but I just tried my first test of taking stills and video at my grandson's soccer game today. The 2nd half was barely underway and I was already getting overheating warnings.  I captured a total of 9 min 55 sec of 4k video with these settings: 

• Movie Rec Quality: 4k-D, 29.97P, ALL-I
  • 4k HQ Mode: Enable
  • Canon Log; Off

Can I really only expect less than 10 minutes of record time before the camera overheats?  I am a novice at videography with this camera.  I watched a 25 min YouTube video on how to set this up best for videography and I followed those instructions.  I'm confused.  Any help would be appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start by telling us what firmware you are running on your camera.  Also note that using the camera in warmer climates, direct sunlight and for extended periods while previewing without capturing video also contributes to heat build up.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kentinada
Contributor

Firmware 1.8.1

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Rick is spot on about heat management.

Ambient temperature has a big impact and direct sunlight greatly amplifies that affect.  Providing shade for the camera will help manage thermal gain.  But better "still" cameras are designed with some weather sealing and that creates a major heat management issue.

I have shot a limited amount of sports video with my 1DX III bodies and they have excellent thermal management BUT I am sure it would be easy to overheat them in sustained 5.5K mode.  For video I prefer using my dedicated Canon camcorder.  It isn't weather sealed to the extend of a "still" camera body because it uses active forced air cooling but it also has no problem with heat management shooting continuous video.

Try to find a shaded area to shoot from if possible, if not try to orient yourself so that your body is blocking direct sunlight onto the camera body.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Well, this is a bit sad that a feature that is advertised is barely usable. Does the video mode make a difference? If I record in FHD rather than 4K, will that help keep it cooler longer? 

Lower resolution modes will generate less heat so that may be the best bet. 

The only mirrorless I own is a tiny M6 Mark II I use solely when traveling and I have never used it for serious shooting.  I have shot hundreds of hours of sports in pretty horrible conditions with my 1DX II and III bodies, primarily stills but also some 4K video, and never have run into an overheating issue.  But I suspect something is going on with your particular R5 if it is overheating so quickly in what I would consider mild conditions. I have shot many events where the temperature was in the mid to upper 90s with full sun and although I got uncomfortable, my cameras have never complained.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How many minutes of continuous recording dime are you trying to achieve?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The longest was only 1:13.  Total time in the hour I was shooting the game was 9 min 55 sec.  

What are the weather conditions like?  Is it warm/hot and sunny?

Do you allow the camera to rest and turn off its screen between shots?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kentinada
Contributor

It was sunny and about 80.  I never turned the camera off because I was shooting stills mostly.  I am going to try some different video modes because 4K HQ is definitely not usable. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements