cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Freezing up After Firmware 1.5 Update...

cohenfive
Contributor

I've heard this is an issue, and I experienced it yesterday while shooting some birds. My R5 locked up about 5 times in a row during one session. Each time I took the battery out and it froze repeatedly. Eventually it stopped, but I was not too pleased. Are others having this issue, is canon going to fix it, and is there a way to go back to version 1.4 as an interim solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

itaylorm2
Apprentice

I have had similar problems with an R5 with battery extender while using my 100-500mm ever since I upgraded to firmware 1.5. I am using AI Servo at the time with '*' Set to Eye focus and 'AF ON' set to focus. This problem happens consistently when I am watching a bird for a while and take my finger off the eye focus back button "*" on my camera. I consistently get a crash when the bird starts to move, I press the eye focus. The key is a pause of at least 5 minutes. One work around is the hit the AF On button (Set to focus) first. At one point I made the AF On button my eye focus button, same result. I have tried all the above suggestions with no luck at all. The issue does NOT happen when using any other lens. I had a friend out with me yesterday who had similar problems and then they stopped when he changed his crop factor on the red menu 1. Now no more issues. Try it, since you are probably shooting birds the crop helps. Canon Needs to fix the firmware.

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

Canon wall charger, battery out of camera

itaylorm2
Apprentice

I have had similar problems with an R5 with battery extender while using my 100-500mm ever since I upgraded to firmware 1.5. I am using AI Servo at the time with '*' Set to Eye focus and 'AF ON' set to focus. This problem happens consistently when I am watching a bird for a while and take my finger off the eye focus back button "*" on my camera. I consistently get a crash when the bird starts to move, I press the eye focus. The key is a pause of at least 5 minutes. One work around is the hit the AF On button (Set to focus) first. At one point I made the AF On button my eye focus button, same result. I have tried all the above suggestions with no luck at all. The issue does NOT happen when using any other lens. I had a friend out with me yesterday who had similar problems and then they stopped when he changed his crop factor on the red menu 1. Now no more issues. Try it, since you are probably shooting birds the crop helps. Canon Needs to fix the firmware.

I spoke with CPS yesterday and the gentlemen assured me that a firmware fix is very much in the works. No ETA which is standard practice. 

This is great news!  I continue to have issues after doing a Canon suggested reset on both R5 and R6.  

This is not a solution

Fintan
Apprentice

I'm having the exact same issue with my R5 and it’s just happening very regularly and I’m missing a lot of good bird in flight action as a result.

Scoots3571
Contributor

The new firmware update is now available, apparently fixing lock ups when using AI servo/back button focus 🤞

itaylorm2
Apprentice

True but I will do a wait and see

Downloaded 1.5.1 and installed on my R5. The issue reappeared within a few minutes. Canon, this issue hasn’t been fixed with this release.

I am shooting with high burst rate electronic shutter with animal eye tracking with back button focusing thru AF-ON button, recording on a Sony 128GB 1700mbps CFEXPRESS type B. I am using the RF 100-500 lens and the original batty

Thanks & regards,
Saibal.

YannigVdW
Contributor

FWIW, I couldn't resist installing this new firmware update on one of my bodies.I left the other body at 1.4.0.

What I've learned:
- There are still bugs in 1.5.1; I've had two "pauses" which went away by themselves pretty quickly. No real issue here.
- Firmware 1.5.1 follows subjects A LOT better than 1.4.0. Also when the subject is wearing a face mask.
- On the three past assignments I shot about 700 craws without issue with firmware 1.5.1. However: these assignments were paced differently than when I was still using 1.5.0.

Announcements