cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 File Folder setup

ckeene
Apprentice

I just changed camera brands and I’m trying to set up a continuous folder reading system in my new R5. I am wanting the system to automatically create a new folder based on the shoot date and I’d like the folder to be named by the date i.e. 081224. I can’t seem to figure this out based on the manual, so any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The reason I prefer the EOS Utility over a card reader is because of the very flexible folder creation, file renaming and sorting features.  
I can create folders by date.  I can sort and rename files based on camera body, lens, or a few other items from EXIF data. I’ll trade file sorting and renaming over download speed all day long. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not sure this is possible (automatically)  I'm researching now.  What brand body did you own that did this previously?

Interesting question by the way 🤔  We like these.  

Using this for reference:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Folder Settings (start.canon)

You can name the folder what you like.  A folder can hold 9999 images.  You'd have to hit that before the camera created a new folder (automatically), and even then it would just append the number at the end of the name. 

I didn't find anything specific for movie recording.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Pentax K1-ii. Can Canon automatically create new folders based on the date? I’m ok if the system doesn’t give the name I’m wanting. I shoot multiple jobs over the course of a week and I’d prefer not to have all the files load into one folder. Didn’t know if there was an automated system for this. Thanks! 

The reason I prefer the EOS Utility over a card reader is because of the very flexible folder creation, file renaming and sorting features.  
I can create folders by date.  I can sort and rename files based on camera body, lens, or a few other items from EXIF data. I’ll trade file sorting and renaming over download speed all day long. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you. 

Thank you. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Waddizzle's post is correct.  Full control. 😉

The manual did show the option for creating / naming folders manually.  You'd only need to select it at the beginning of that day's shoot.  All captures would save to that folder then.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements