cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Didn't Save Images

elden25
Apprentice

I ran into an issue yesterday and wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar, or has any theories as to the root cause.

I was shooting an owl in flight (100-500 with 1.4 extender) in H+ Drive mode. Both card slots were set to record cRAW. The shutter had been depressed for 2 - 3 seconds, shooting a couple dozen images.

The camera then froze, went black for a second, woke up, fired another series of shots (without the shutter being pressed) and returned to normal operation. The problem is that none of the photos over that 8 - 10 second stretch recorded to either card.

I'm trying to narrow this down to a camera issue, card issue, or something else. Has anyone experienced anything like this? It was extremely concerning.

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Difficult to say.  What specific cards are you using?  A guess is that their sustained write speed was too slow to write out all those images and thus the internal memory buffer in the camera filled.   If anything though, the camera should have eventually written out all the data.   Sounds like when the freeze occurred, that internal memory was purged/lost.

Hopefully this was a fluke.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements