cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 - Any way to always have the Quick Control menu on screen?

snapetom
Apprentice

Howdy, I just got an R5.  I was wondering if there's a setting to have it mimic my old 70D's behavior.

1) Screen shows the Quick Control menu when my eye isn't on the EVF.

2) Screen goes blank when I put my eye on the EVF.

99% of the time, I have the screen display towards me, but not swung open.  If that makes sense (like a fixed screen in the T7).  I played around with "Wrench -> Tab 3 -> Screen/Viewfinder display", but none of the settings do what I want.  When camera is pulled away, I find the live view in the screen distracting, and the menu being the viewfinder only neuters it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

snapetom
Apprentice

Ok, figured it out.  Using the Info button, you can cycle through all of the screens available.  One of those screens is the QC menu.  You can just leave it there and it will show/hide when you raise and lower the camera.

You can toggle all of the available displays on and off via Camera Icon -> 7 -> Shooting Info Display -> Screen Info Settings.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

snapetom
Apprentice

Ok, figured it out.  Using the Info button, you can cycle through all of the screens available.  One of those screens is the QC menu.  You can just leave it there and it will show/hide when you raise and lower the camera.

You can toggle all of the available displays on and off via Camera Icon -> 7 -> Shooting Info Display -> Screen Info Settings.

garymak1
Enthusiast

Hi, I have an R5 but I can understand what you are asking.  (Since I don't have a 70D, I also don't know what that does.)  

Basically, when the screen rests in well in the back of the camera facing out, you can have the viewfinder/screen settings set to:

a) screen only,

b) viewfinder only, or

c) switch out from the screen to the viewfinder when you put your eye to the viewfinder (and when you take your eye off the viewfinder, the image goes to the screen.)

However, if you pull the screen out from the back of the camera (i.e., tilt it) you won't be able to see the image through the viewfinder in #c above. There is no setting to allow that. I think the logic is that with the screen sticking out, it's a little awkward to put your face to the back of the camera and most people wouldn't.

Personally, I leave the settings as per #c above, and turn the screen back in facing inside the camera and just use the viewfinder most of the time.  It save some battery, too.  Then, if I need to use the screen (like for low level shots or such) I simply reverse it (so it faces out but still sits in the well) a/o swing it out.

Not sure if that answers your question as I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking... sorry. 

Announcements