cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 Freezes - Canon Repaired - Problem Persists!

sbunting
Enthusiast

Preordered the R3 and patiently awaited its arrival. It arrived on time and, wow, what a camera. However, within the first week, I experienced two instances where it froze. No button or dial would respond, however the touch screen still worked. Of course it takes a 'button' to turn it off, so a battery pull is needed to shut it down and then it works again until it freezes. Before anyone asks, it was all Canon gear, R lens included. Different lens were tried, different memory cards, different batteries, etc. What makes it happen is simply having it on for a period of time. You don't even have to be doing anything. So it was still within the period where I could return it to Canon and get another if I chose, but instead, since I had CPS Platinum, giving me an ultrafast turn-around, I opted for Canon repair. They replicated the issue in the shop, fortunately. They reinstalled the firmware and claimed the problem would not replicate. OK, we'll see. I've used it everyday this week with no problem, but all my uses were turn it on, use it for 10 minutes or so, and turn it off. Today I went out for an extended photowalk. I took a break for coffee and a review of the images. So the camera was on from earlier and on for an extended period while reviewing images. I took a break for a minute and when I picked the camera up, boom, frozen again. I was doing absolutely nothing aside from having the camera on. The attached screen shot tells the story. Note the position of the power button, i.e. "OFF" and yet still a picture on the screen. Twice more during the walk, the camera was left on and went to sleep. Twice when I went to wake it up and use it, total black. It would not respond to anything other than a battery pull. So it seems in their haste to do a fast turnaround, they didn't fix the problem. Freezing up seems to affect all recent Canon cameras in the R series, as I read the various forums. Has anyone else experienced this issue and, better yet, had a satisfactory resolution?

Note power "OFF" Image Still On Screen!Note power "OFF" Image Still On Screen!

Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 7D, Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM
41 REPLIES 41

Mine froze twice while I was doing absolutely nothing and froze twice yesterday while it was in the sleep mode.  That Canon was able to replicate it using whatever cards they use on the test bench leads me away from a card issue.  That it occurs after the camera has been on for a while leads me toward heat and they noted in their notes that leaving it on a while replicated the issue and when they tested after firmware reload, they said they left it on for a while and no more.  So I don't see it at all when I use it for a few minutes and turn it off, repeatedly throughout the day.  I see it when it's on for a long session.  Not sure what all that means, but that's where I'm at and I'm going to be nicely climbing down their throat tomorrow when they open for business.  No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 7D, Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM

I don't think it is an overheating issue. It happened to me just minutes into a youth basketball game and I have had it on for much longer periods of time without any issues.

Not sure the cause, but it is sporadic.  Most have no problem, it seems.  Regardless, Canon is about to become the owner of a $6K lemon.  I'm not going to be a guinea pig for them. I've given them a fair shot and now it's time for them to ante up and make it right.  Too much money to have this kind of issue.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This could be a tough problem to overcome. CPS has to replicate the issue in order to be able to fix it. The fact it seems so random makes that difficult. I hope all the best for you guys experiencing it.

BTW, you are using real deal CF or CFx cards. I mean buying from known good sources? There is always the risk of getting a counterfeit card especially when they are fairly expensive cards. If the price seems to good to be true it just might be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The Transcend Card I was using was purchased from B&H. I never buy from anyone but known sources. This is also a known issue with the R5. Not experienced by all users, but certainly by many, as a quick internet search will reveal. I agree it is tough issue to overcome and so far, Canon seems to have been unable to address it in the R5. So long as it is merely a nuisance, I have come to live with it in the hopes that someday Canon will figure it out and provide a firmware solution. Since it has happened only once with the R3 I will continue to "Beta Test" the body to see if there is any relationship between the cards and the malfunction. With the R5 it seems as though SanDisk cards have the least problems, so I will use SanDisk in the R3 and see if it happens again. I have read on other forums that the standards for CFExpress are still a bit ill-defined, so maybe that is part of the problem.

At least with my camera, Canon CPS already replicated the issue and with whatever card they use on the bench.  They simply failed to apply the right fix.  We'll see what happens next, but I'm going to refuse another round of repairs.  New camera time.  $6K is no joke and one doesn't expect this behavior for this kind of product. 

Please keep us apprised of your situation. My problem is that I'm in the midst of basketball season, with men's volleyball about to start up as well. So, even though I am a platinum CPS member, I can't afford to be without the R3 for even a few days. I just have to wait and see if I can keep it manageable for next few months.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"$6K is no joke and one doesn't expect this behavior for this kind of product."

I agree, they'll fix it. Does CPS still have a loaner service?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

When I get this resolved, I will certainly post the resolution here.  They have a loaner program, one for evaluation and one for a loaner during repairs.  I didn't see the R3 or the r5 on the eval list.  They don't list what they have for loaners during repairs, but they do have this service.

sbunting
Enthusiast

In preparation for my return to CONUS, I reached out to Canon CPS today.  They have started a repair process just to get it started, but also passed me off to sales to get the camera replaced.  What a joke that was.  Eventually I spoke with a supervisor at sales named Jason, whose last name is #207.  He insists that I return the camera at my own expense and to pay for insurance for $6K.  He acted like he was doing me a favor by "extending the return" period.  I told him I was seeking a replacement, not a refund.  I told him I put this on record with Canon within a week of receiving the camera via CPS.  CPS told me by doing so, I was locking in my ability to return for a replacement or refund.  Meanwhile, CPS took the camera in for repair, but failed to resolve the problem.  Sales has zero connection with CPS; they exist on two different planets.  You'd think that sales would love CPS members as they buy lots of Canon products, but not so.  Such a disconnect makes zero business sense.  I finally escalated the matter to customer relations, which is where I suggest anyone having this issue begin the process.  Forget sales!  I don't yet have a resolution, but at least I have someone who is going to run with the ball and try to make this right.  More to come....

Announcements