R3 Auto Focus Issues

Paddysup
Contributor

Have had the R3 since it's introduction and up till now, fantastic piece of equipment! Recently however it has begun to have issues with auto focus, regardless of the lens attached, settings or lighting. Going to to a complete reset of the software today which I hate to do since there are so many custom setting, but at least I may be able to rule out some small setting I've overlooked.

Anyone else have problems with the R3 Auto Focus?

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I only have one individual I know that uses a R3 as a professional making a living with his camera. He has nothing but praise for it so I conclude there aren't known or wide spread issues with the AF. Most pros I know of still use a 1DX Mk II or Mk III, however. so the sampling is very small in my world. I will not be buying one and it seems the switch isn't real great yet.

When you ask a question on a user supported forum you get the replies that you get. I understand your query completely and I still repeat, "The camera is simply doing what it is told to do."  I respect your experience but remember some of us have as much or more. We are sim[ply trying to understand and help if possible. Anytime a camera as complex as the 1 series or R3 and you have several custom settings besides, a reset is the most logical course of action. You have to be back and start at square zero to find any inherent AF issues. You may have a fault that is unique to just your camera and not widespread.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1

There doesn't seem to be any R3 owners on here and the forum has folks like you with strong opinions but no construction advise.

Leaving the site. No help.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Anyone else have problems with the R3 Auto Focus?" Asked and answered!  " He has nothing but praise for it so I conclude there aren't known or wide spread issues with the AF."  You may not like or agree with my "strong opinion" but that is all the help I can give.

I still maintain the professionals I know and have read about are not switching in great numbers. Yet anyway. I suspect they are waiting for an R1.

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I just did a quick search for "R3".  I counted 50 posts from different users before I quit counting.  

@Paddysup,

With all due respect..  You've come here asking for help, yet you are being dismissive and deflective to others trying to assist you.  I assure you the members who were asking for more information and clarification have professional photography experience and a deep (deep) understanding of photography and Canon cameras.  

You want to speak with a tech before resetting your camera.  Seriously?  Back up the settings to a card and reset.  Let's not make a trivial operation into a life altering event.  It can be undone in 90 sec.  It was your idea, and one we all believe is a good one.  According to you, your camera is unusable currently.   

What firmware are you running.  Have you updated recently?  I don't believe this information was offered or asked?  Do you want to solve your issue or argue why the people asking you questions couldn't possibly know what they are talking about?  I have 13 customizable buttons on my camera, and after making changes have occasionally found myself in a not working as expected situation.  

You're there now.  That = reset or restore to a point in time when things did work.  Since this is happening regardless of lens or lighting.  Please accept my suggestion as well and >>Move forward >> 

Any R3 related AF issues I have read about here have all been the results of user error, a lack of understanding of how a feature operates or a hardware issue.  The first two are most common.  I suggest you back up your settings, reset the camera and rule out a hardware issue.  

If that doesn't help, then you know your camera should be inspected by Canon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bravo! Well said.

EB
Announcements