cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10 with a RF-S 18-45mm lens having trouble with focus system

nischalk
Apprentice

I got canon R10. Its been a while I am having trouble with the focus system. Once I use MF and change into AF it is ok but when i turn off my camera and turn it on again it shows MF in the screen but my AF is turned on. IDK how can i fix this. Is it because of lens?? I am using kit len i.e RF-S 18-45mm  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Check the AF/MF switch on the front of the camera next to the hand grip. I also suggest resetting the camera back to factory default too. This can be done with the camera mode dial set to the Creative Zone ie (M, Av, Tv, P & Fv) modes. Also your lens supports what's called Full Time Manual Focus. The focus ring on your lens is ELECTRONIC. Its not mechanically connected to the lens' focusing elements. So your lens is what's referred to as "Focus By Wire". To use this feature you need to half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring. This ONLY works with the camera set to One Shot AF. If its set to Servo AF or AI Focus it WILL NOT WORKThe camera must be powered up for manual focus to work. Manual Focus requires the AF Motor to be used for manual focusing to work. In the camera menu a setting needs to be changed to allow Full Time Manual Focus. This setting is called "Manual Focus After One Shot". This setting is DISABLED by default so set this to ENABLE for focus override works. Older cameras called this "USM Lens Electronic Manual Focus". Early Ring Type USM lenses implemented focus override electronically. Newer Ring Type USM lenses implemented this mechanically by using a clutch override system under the focus ring. STM always use electronic focus override. All RF Mount lenses implement focus override electronically.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an AF/MF switch on the lens, and if so, is it in the AF position? I believe that that camera also has an AF/MF switch on the camera body. Perhaps they are in opposing positions?

If the lens has an AF/ MF switch on it, it overrides the camera body's switch regardless of the switch position on the body. All of Canon's APS-C (RF-S) lenses lack an AF/MF switch on them. So the camera body's switch takes priority in this case.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Check the AF/MF switch on the front of the camera next to the hand grip. I also suggest resetting the camera back to factory default too. This can be done with the camera mode dial set to the Creative Zone ie (M, Av, Tv, P & Fv) modes. Also your lens supports what's called Full Time Manual Focus. The focus ring on your lens is ELECTRONIC. Its not mechanically connected to the lens' focusing elements. So your lens is what's referred to as "Focus By Wire". To use this feature you need to half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring. This ONLY works with the camera set to One Shot AF. If its set to Servo AF or AI Focus it WILL NOT WORKThe camera must be powered up for manual focus to work. Manual Focus requires the AF Motor to be used for manual focusing to work. In the camera menu a setting needs to be changed to allow Full Time Manual Focus. This setting is called "Manual Focus After One Shot". This setting is DISABLED by default so set this to ENABLE for focus override works. Older cameras called this "USM Lens Electronic Manual Focus". Early Ring Type USM lenses implemented focus override electronically. Newer Ring Type USM lenses implemented this mechanically by using a clutch override system under the focus ring. STM always use electronic focus override. All RF Mount lenses implement focus override electronically.

-Demetrius

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an AF/MF switch on the lens, and if so, is it in the AF position? I believe that that camera also has an AF/MF switch on the camera body. Perhaps they are in opposing positions?

If the lens has an AF/ MF switch on it, it overrides the camera body's switch regardless of the switch position on the body. All of Canon's APS-C (RF-S) lenses lack an AF/MF switch on them. So the camera body's switch takes priority in this case.

-Demetrius

Announcements