cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10, RP, or R for sports

eding
Apprentice

I haven’t shot with a proper camera in years, and started to miss it so I recently picked up a R50 to get back into taking proper sports photos of my kids, and I haven’t been thrilled with it. Missing the second dial and its focusing has been a bit of an annoyance for me. I’m still in the return window for it, so I’m thinking about either the R10, the RP, and the R. I’ll be shooting football, soccer, and lacrosse on a larger field and hockey. I’d also like the camera for walk around and portraits (of the kids, etc)

Currently for sports I have the 100-400 non L RF lens, which is also getting returned. I was able to get some decent shots but testing it at night under the lights it really comes up short. I am looking to switch to the RF 70-200 2.8. I think I’ll miss the extra reach, but there’s a lot more to gain going to 2.8 compared to 5.6 -> 8.

I’m looking for reliably solid, fast focus and don’t really want to go over $1000 for the body. For non-sports I have the 30 1.8, 50 1.8, and the 80 f2 all RF versions.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sports and portraits photography on a budget, where some shooting scenarios will not have the best lighting. 

Considering the lenses you currently own or plan to own, I believe you'll be happier with a full frame body.  Would it be possible for you to stretch your budget slightly and consider a refurbished R8?

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r8?color=Black&type=Refurbished

I don't believe you should consider the EOS R or the RP, primarily due to age and technology.  One is nearly 6 years old. The other is about 5.

The Digic X processor in the R8 will perform substantially better than the Digic 8 processor in the R or RP.  It also has more modern AF and subject tracking.  Based on your intended use, the R8 will also perform better than the R10.

The biggest drawback of the R8 is its battery life. This is because it's a compact body and uses a smaller battery.  Your budget is a limiting factor here.  However, I believe the R8 checks the majority of your boxes while adhering very closely to your budget.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements