cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions re: upgrading to T5i from Powershot SX40

MrsBatch
Contributor

I currently have a Canon Powershot SX40 and have taken thousands of photos with it. While the results are good, I want them better. I have been taking some photography classes and reading articles online to try and get the most out of my current camera. I typically shoot in P mode and not Auto. I have been researching Canon DSLR cameras and think I have settled on the T5i which has good features and in my budget. However, I am torn between these two options: Getting the T5i with the 18-55 STM lens in a kit with the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, or for the same price, getting the T5i with the 18-135 STM lens only (which is close to the range of the lens on the SX40). I shoot a lot of nature and landscape photography, so want to be able to zoom in from a distance. Otherwise, I am shooting family photos at a close range (a few feet at most). I also do a lot of macro photography. I would appreciate some recommendations on the best option for me to start with.

Also, one concern I have is shooting in damp or wet weather. We were just on a Rhine River Cruise, and most days were damp with drizzly rain. I still shot a lot of photos and just did my best to try and keep my camera wiped off and dry. Would the T5i be more sensitive in this kind of weather than my SX40? If I'm on a trip and the weather is wet, I don't want that to keep me from taking photos. What do those of you with the T5i (or similar) do in damp weather?

Thank you. 

12 REPLIES 12

Thank you for your response. After your comment and more research, I am now considering the 70D which has some additional features over the T5i including being weather sealed. Since I am probably going to make the jump to what will be for me a very expensive camera, I want to make a well-informed decision. There is a decent bundle right now available for this camera which I am putting on my list for Santa!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate your recommendations and for giving me some more things to consider.

Alan, thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply to my post and for the time it took to compose it. I will print it out to refer to while shopping. Thanks so much!

Barbara

Announcements