cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Abe's of Maine retailer

PEJKKJ
Contributor

I'm looking at a 1DX Mk II, and Abe's of Maine has what appears to be a great deal on new ones for $4,149.  In scouring their FAQ's it says that they are not an "authorized" Canon dealer.  Are these international models with no US warranty, or ones that fell off the truck?  Never ordered from Abe's before so not sure how to interpret them.

24 REPLIES 24

cicopo
Elite

You may want to check what's been said here.     https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1579838/#14727776

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Tim
Authority

Hello Pejkkj, 

I cannot speak or attest to the quality or origin of items sold at Abes of Maine as they are, as you mentioned, not an authorized Canon dealer.  

I do recommend conducting business with only those retailers Canon has designated as authorized.  There is a list on our web site for your convenience.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus/where-to-buy/authorized-dealers

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

B&H pricing has always been very fair and I have received stellar service with no hassles.  Seeing someone else offering the camera for around $1,300 less than B&H is a red flag for me.  I would be extremely cautious and do a lot of research on Abe's before going down that road.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks everyone.  I will avoid AoM.  How about Adorama?  Are they as good as B&H?

I have use Adaroma a number of times and have been very happy with the purchases.  They offer a number of "free" add ons but they are really not needed.  They tend to ship via FedEx which is not as fast to California as UPS (only a couple of days slower) but still  good service.  They are also "Canon authorized".  BTW I think you are smart for going with only authorized dealers.  

@PEJKKJ wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I will avoid AoM.  How about Adorama?  Are they as good as B&H?

I have only used Canon USA and B&H.  Adorama is supposed to be very good.  I have never used them.  Adorama does not have as wide a selection of products as B&H.  

B&H customer Service AFTER THE SALE is excellent.  Adorama tries to be as good as B&H, but they are not as large.  I have heard stories about hassles returning items, but it has been a few years.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

PEJKKJ
Contributor
Thanks. Now if I only knew if the 1DX Mk III was going to come out by the end of the year and what the specs were, I’d know whether to buy the Mk II now or wait. I expect something before the next 2020 Olympics but who knows.

Do not buy from Abe's of Maine.  Period!

B&H, Adorama, Roberts, Best Buy local camera store are you best choices.  There are a lot more too that I can't think of right now but Abe's is not one of them.  Personally I would avoid 42nd Street and 47th Street photo, too.

Avoid Amazon, too. Smiley Sad

Let me say this, if you are worried or concerned about $1300 bucks when considering buying a 1DX Mk II, you are not the person that should buy one.  You will be better served with a 5D Mk IV or even a 6D Mk II.  A Mk IV will save you that $1300 and will do an amazing job of picture taking. Plus you can get it from Canon USA.e

As far as should you wait or buy now?  Always buy what and when you need it.  How many great shots are you missing by waiting for that camera to come out, that may never come out?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Personally I would avoid 42nd Street and 47th Street photo, too.

Avoid Amazon, too. Smiley Sad

Once quite a few years ago, I use 4xth Street and it was a really poor decision.  I got a call about 2 days after the order and advised I should also buy a battery and charger for the camera, one did not come with the camera. They also advised that I should get an aftermarket warrantee which I decided not to do after I read through the specifications.  Pay shipping both ways and a sure charge of $50 for each repair.  I also had to pay extra for the camera strap.  The price was still below local so I went ahead and got the battery and charger.  The battery was an aftermarket as was the charger.  The camera also did not come in the original box and did not have the "bayonet" cover.  The battery lasted about a week and I threw it and the charger away.  At least the camera worked fine, but it was grey market. Never again.

Announcements