cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefix file name underscore versus 8

Zbadger
Contributor
I use Adobe color space for my 5D Mark 4 which uses a file name with an initial underscore. However I am finding that on some of my folders the majority of my files will be correctly labeled with an underscore but then a lesser number of them will randomly instead have an 8 starting off the name of the file. I contacted Canon technical support and they have never heard of this issue.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The RAW file metadata is supposed to describe the RAW file, not some edits that someone made."

 

WE AGREE!  Smiley Wink It is simply a matter of how each editor handles it but there is one.


Frankly, Gentlemen, if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!  Smiley Happy

 

Well, actually, it has. I'm supposed to be spending my time cleaning out our old house so that we can complete our move to Philadelphia. But that's another story.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

'Adobe is always behind the curve; they have to wait for Canon to tell them what's included in the latest RAW file format."

 

Canon does not document how their Raw files work. Others will always be "behind the curve" because they have to analyse how they work.

 

"DPP's RAW files have always reliably included all the edits I've made... I have no reason to suppose that I've been getting some special treatment."

 

Sorry ya lost me on that one.  I suspect DPP4 works exactly for you as it does for everybody.

 

"... if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!"

 

I don't mind being shown where I go wrong.  It happens and it will happen again, I'm sure.  However, I don't like rude so I bow out then.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Does the same issue occur on more than one memory card? Have the memory cards been formatted in the camera? Does the EXIF info for the affected images in fact show them being saved in the Adobe color space, or do you see any other strange changes in the EXIF data between the different file naming structures?

Thank you for your reply!!!

 

Yes - it has happened with 2 separate CF cards - the most recent with a 128GB card.

 

Yes - the cards were formatted in the camera.

 

IF by EXIF you mean Details under Properties, under those .jpgs correctly listed with an initial underscore, the Image Color Representations states "Uncalibrated" .................whereas the images that start with an initial 8 in the file name, the Image Color Representations state sRGB.


@Zbadger wrote:

Thank you for your reply!!!

 

Yes - it has happened with 2 separate CF cards - the most recent with a 128GB card.

 

Yes - the cards were formatted in the camera.

 

IF by EXIF you mean Details under Properties, under those .jpgs correctly listed with an initial underscore, the Image Color Representations states "Uncalibrated" .................whereas the images that start with an initial 8 in the file name, the Image Color Representations state sRGB.


If one of your Custom settings (C1, C2, C3) has sRGB colorspace saved in it this would explain it.

 

Also as metioned by Waddizzle any factory preset modes like HDR are likely to use the default sRGB colorspace.

My HDR images are Adobe RGB images, but I just checked my first C1 setting and sure enough, a photo I took had an sRGB image taken.  However, I have not been using C1 when these occasional images with an 8 prefix have showed up.


@Zbadger wrote:

My HDR images are Adobe RGB images, but I just checked my first C1 setting and sure enough, a photo I took had an sRGB image taken.  However, I have not been using C1 when these occasional images with an 8 prefix have showed up.


I am pretty sure that the 5D4 saves HDR images as JPEGs.  

 

A48C7B44-57CB-43CE-86CA-9B2806CB895D.jpeg

 

I have never heard of an “Adobe RGB image” JPEG file before.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

@Zbadger wrote:

My HDR images are Adobe RGB images, but I just checked my first C1 setting and sure enough, a photo I took had an sRGB image taken.  However, I have not been using C1 when these occasional images with an 8 prefix have showed up.


I am pretty sure that the 5D4 saves HDR images as JPEGs.  

 

A48C7B44-57CB-43CE-86CA-9B2806CB895D.jpeg

 

I have never heard of an “Adobe RGB image” JPEG file before.


Any JPEG has a color gamut associated with it; and on (I believe) any reasonably high-end Canon camera, that can be either sRGB or Adobe RGB. And any decent photo editor can produce either one in a RAW-to-JPEG conversion. Some (most?) commercial-grade printers must be able to read the gamut setting from the Exif data, because if I ask my favorite print shop which they prefer, they always tell me it doesn't matter.

 

Or am I misunderstanding the point you're trying to make?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Zbadger wrote:

My HDR images are Adobe RGB images, but I just checked my first C1 setting and sure enough, a photo I took had an sRGB image taken.  However, I have not been using C1 when these occasional images with an 8 prefix have showed up.


I am pretty sure that the 5D4 saves HDR images as JPEGs.  

 

[ deleted ]

 

I have never heard of an “Adobe RGB image” JPEG file before.


Any JPEG has a color gamut associated with it; and on (I believe) any reasonably high-end Canon camera, that can be either sRGB or Adobe RGB. And any decent photo editor can produce either one in a RAW-to-JPEG conversion. Some (most?) commercial-grade printers must be able to read the gamut setting from the Exif data, because if I ask my favorite print shop which they prefer, they always tell me it doesn't matter.

 

Or am I misunderstanding the point you're trying to make?


Maybe I misunderstood what was being said.  I thought he was saying the HDR images are saved as RAW files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think you need to go through the entire thread.  There is a switch in the name convention in some of my pictures from _ to 8 as the prefix.  The .jpg ones with the _ (which are the vast majority) ahow "Uncalibrated" when looking at Properties and then at "Color Representation".  However , the ones that are labelled "8" show "sRGB".  Thus, I am getting photos upon download not in chronological order - a bunch of intermittent "8's" at the end of each folder.

 

Canon suggest there might be something wrong with the camera???

 

But another contributor TT Martin wrote:

 

"If one of your Custom settings (C1, C2, C3) has sRGB colorspace saved in it this would explain it."

 

I responded " ...... I just checked my first C1 setting and sure enough, a photo I took had an sRGB image taken.  However, I have not been using C1 when these occasional images with an 8 prefix have showed up."

 

 

I did post a reply but hope it did not come off as unappreciative or snarky. The thread has gone in so many directions. Thanks for your comments. PS - what I read is the prefix _ is indicative of Adobe RGB and the prefix 8 is indicative of SRGB.
Avatar
click here to view the gallery
Announcements