cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures not on memory card

Roberthoward562
Apprentice

Hi, We have an EOS T5i. After a shooting several hundred pictures went to download and eight showed up, 7 tests, and one from the shoot. Read about possible causes (the camera did shut down due to a low battery late in the shoot) and got  a recovery program to read the SD card. It was almost full but the pictures on it were from a previous shoot. It is like the latest shoot never went to the card at al after that first shot. They did appear on the screen during the shoot. At this point we have accepted the loss and assume that was a failure of the card (although we did a couple of test shots and it seems to work fine). I have read and like the advice to format the card before a big shoot.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Roberthoward562 wrote:

Hi, We have an EOS T5i. After a shooting several hundred pictures went to download and eight showed up, 7 tests, and one from the shoot. Read about possible causes (the camera did shut down due to a low battery late in the shoot) and got  a recovery program to read the SD card. It was almost full but the pictures on it were from a previous shoot. It is like the latest shoot never went to the card at al after that first shot. They did appear on the screen during the shoot. At this point we have accepted the loss and assume that was a failure of the card (although we did a couple of test shots and it seems to work fine). I have read and like the advice to format the card before a big shoot.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

That's a very unusual situation. The only thing I can think of was that the SD card wasn't fully inserted. Can't help you now, but, to maybe prevent it from happening in the future, go into the menu and change 'Shoot without card' to No.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It was almost full but the pictures on it were from a previous shoot."

Almost full?  Or actually full?  It is a bad idea to store your photos on the SD card you are using for everyday photo use.  Get a couple extra SD cards and switch them out each time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Roberthoward562
Apprentice
Ttmartin: yeah, we seem to get the weird problems. I doubt the card was loose. the mechanism that clicks and locks it in seems to be in good working order. Couldn't find the "shoot with no card" option in menu. Thanks for your response

Ebiggs1: actually the card was "erased" after the last shoot. The recovery software found 3.6 G on the 4G card none of which was overwritten by the most recent shoot. But I agree, always good to have extra cards. Thanks for your response.

@Roberthoward562 wrote:
Ttmartin: yeah, we seem to get the weird problems. I doubt the card was loose. the mechanism that clicks and locks it in seems to be in good working order. Couldn't find the "shoot with no card" option in menu. Thanks for your response

Ebiggs1: actually the card was "erased" after the last shoot. The recovery software found 3.6 G on the 4G card none of which was overwritten by the most recent shoot. But I agree, always good to have extra cards. Thanks for your response.

I wonder if the problem could be related to the way in which the previous shoot was erased. The card wasn't low-level formatted, obviously, or the recovery program wouldn't have found anything. If the erasure was done by using a computer to delete the image files, it's conceivable that part of the card's folder structure was inadvertently deleted or corrupted, leaving the camera unable to find a place to store new files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I doubt the card was loose."

The card was not loose! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Roberthoward562 wrote:

Page 200 of the T4i Manual

T4i release shutter without card.jpg

Roberthoward562
Apprentice
That is very interesting. I think it may have been "erased" by iPhoto. Still, worked fine following day, although we only took a few shots on that card so as not to possibly overwrite lost pictures.

@Roberthoward562 wrote:
That is very interesting. I think it may have been "erased" by iPhoto. Still, worked fine following day, although we only took a few shots on that card so as not to possibly overwrite lost pictures.

When you're dealing with lost files or possible corruption, subjecting the card to any write operation whatsoever puts your chances of data recovery at greater risk..

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements