cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking a camera

jessmc0125
Apprentice

Hello,

I’m very new to photography and trying to pick a camera. I mainly want to shoot portraits. I thought I wanted Mirrorless and now I am unsure. Any help or guidance would be great. 

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

stevet1
Authority
Authority

jessmc0125,

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Steve Thomas

JaneDoe_2017
Apprentice

Hi Jessica! I’m also new to photography. My budget allowed for a DSLR and so far everything is great. But the clicking from the mirror and shutter physically moving EVERYTIME I take a photo…. Is bothering me quite a bit. 
To be totally fair, noises never bothered me and I wouldn’t consider myself sensitive. But something about all those mechanics making noises while I’m working. Really grinds my gears lol. 
Food for thought. It’s an aspect that I didn’t come across during my own research: and since I don’t own any mirrorless tech, I wouldn’t be able to tell you if they also make noise

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

When people are just starting out, we always ask them to tell us about the type(s) of photography that interest them most.  Wildlife, Sports, Portraits (etc).  How they plan to use their camera, and what they envision taking pictures of.  Another important consideration is output.  Will you post images to social media, view on a computer or print large images.  Last and almost equally important is budget.  

Since DSLRs are no longer receiving any development, I do not recommend investing in this technology.  Cameras with a full frame sensor are better suited for portraiture.  Lenses are the real investment in photography.    Body's will come and go.  We can make recommendations once a budget is established.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Primarily portraits. Family photos outside sometimes inside

Announcements