cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overexposure 5d mark iv

sm60
Contributor

My 5d mark iv occasionally will overexpose images by about three stops, it will be working fine then suddenly happen without me making any change in settings. It doesn’t matter which mode I am in. I originally thought it. GitHub  the lens bit I switched lenses and that was not it. I have tried removing the battery but it seems that only after the camera is off for several minutes that it returns to normal. Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority
Same in Live view? If not, then it is the light meter that is off.

I have not tried in live view.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sm60 wrote:

My 5d mark iv occasionally will overexpose images by about three stops, it will be working fine then suddenly happen without me making any change in settings. It doesn’t matter which mode I am in. I originally thought it. GitHub  the lens bit I switched lenses and that was not it. I have tried removing the battery but it seems that only after the camera is off for several minutes that it returns to normal. Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks

You should provide more details about issue.  No one can test and reproduce your issue.  If you want help, then help someone to help you.  Providing a sample photo or two, good and bad images, with EXIF data would be a double bonus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was simply asking if anybody else has experienced this problem. Stupid me I deleted the images while I was out shooting realizing I should keep one or two. Next time it happens I plan on keeping them. But here is a little better explanation. When taking a meter reading and setting the camera to what is says would be a correct exposure the image would come out overexposed by about 3 stops. I knew the exposure setting didnt seem correct before taking the shot. Thanks

Did you possibly have Exposure Compensation set?

Sounds like you were manually metering in Manual mode? What metering mode?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It doesn’t matter what mode I am in once it starts I can switch to any mode and it is the same. Seems to clear up only after the camera has been turned off for roughly five minutes or more.

I agree with John. It sounds like a call to Canon is in order but in the meantime do a full reset of the camera first.  They will likely ask you to do it anyway when you call.

A fully charged, known good, battery and a know good CF card is also a good idea to try first.

After the reset and battery and CF card (format it in the camera), set the Mk IV to P mode. ISO fixed to 200. Average WB.

Try it again, shooting whatever it was you were shooting before.  Make sure you set P mode and fix ISO to 200.  Do no other settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements