cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of focus when zoom out on Canon R5

cwucanon
Contributor

I got this problem to my new purchase Canon R5 + EF adapter + EF 24-70mm lens. When take a picture at 24mm it went to infinity and can't focus. I need to move to 35mm range to get focus and take the picture. Anyone has an answer or same problem. It is very frustrated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for you helpful response!

Well, first off I would update your firmware: the current version is 1.6.0.

If your lens will not focus manually, that would suggest there is something wrong with the lens.  Are you able to try it back on a DSLR body?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

In order for us to be able to assist you best, some more detail would be helpful.

1. Precisely which version of the 24-170mm lens are you using - there are three.

2. Is the adapter a Canon unit or another brand, if what, what brand?

3. Will the lens focus manually?

4. What version of firmware does your R5 have currently?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor, 

thanks  for quick reply. 

1. 24-70mm mark II

2. Yes it is canon brand

3. No can't focus manually

4. firmware is 1.5.2

Chris

Thanks for you helpful response!

Well, first off I would update your firmware: the current version is 1.6.0.

If your lens will not focus manually, that would suggest there is something wrong with the lens.  Are you able to try it back on a DSLR body?

cheers, TREVOR

It is not the lens problem. I tried on my canon 5D mark IV and works fine. I will try update my firmware tonight.

Thanks,

The 24-70 MK II should focus manually while in AF Mode. This lens doesn't incorporate an electronic focus. Like in Nano USM and STM lenses. All RF mount USM lenses use Nano USM AF motors. Which means the metering system must be active for manual override to work. Will the lens even focus with the switch set to manual focus on the R5.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Like I said earlier, when I zoom in around  30-35mm I can focus auto or manually. 

Do you have manual focus after one shot enabled. R Series bodies have this feature disabled be default. The camera be stopping you from using the focus ring.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Firmware update fixed the problem. But still out of focus from time to time, and face detection for human still an issue when there are too many people surrounding. I suggest use point focus in this case. 

Thanks, 

Announcements